Thread: Getting error ‘allocating I/O BAR for PCI device’ while replacing hardware in Dell Dimension 2400

Getting error ‘allocating I/O BAR for PCI device’ while replacing hardware in Dell Dimension 2400

I just happened to replace some of the old hardware’s and instead replace it with new one some of the new one such as Maxtor 4R120L0 122 GB IDE HDD and 512 MB RAM stick. Now I am getting a error message in my system saying

Code:
    01/05/0: allocating I/O BAR for PCI device
    01/05/0: allocating I/O BAR for PCI device

strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility
    what should I do now? What is it exactly and what should I do I nthe situations like these?

Re: Getting error ‘allocating I/O BAR for PCI device’ while replacing hardware in Dell Dimension 2400

Its an error message that is normally displayed whenever a new hardware gets added up in your system. You need to enter them in the bios and then save the settings. Now the message will never repeat back.

Re: Getting error ‘allocating I/O BAR for PCI device’ while replacing hardware in Dell Dimension 2400

Quote Originally Posted by fflygirl View Post
    Its an error message that is normally displayed whenever a new hardware gets added up in your system. You need to enter them in the bios and then save the settings. Now the message will never repeat back.
    Hi I did enter it in the bios and also saved the settings then also it is giving me the error, now what to do? I thought I would be able to get rid of that error message but no, I am not able to do now what next?

Ok fine then do check if your system has any add in cards installed? Also do tell me what is the message that you get when you disconnect the new hard drive from the system and also what message do you get when you disconnect the old hard drive try doing that and revert me back with the message. That’s what I want to say here.

As I said the above message is only for the new hard disk let me tell you something about the new hard disk its name is Maxtor MaXLine Plus II 4A320J0 RAMB1TUO, while the old hdd was

Code:
    IDE Controller     Intel(R) 82801DB Ultra ATA Storage Controller - 24CB
         Disk Drive         WDC WD400EB-75CPF0  (37 GB, IDE)
         Optical Drive      DVDRW IDE 16X
         Optical Drive      HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8162B  (16x/48x DVD-ROM)
    Also I noticed that my RAM is mismatched would that be the reason behind the failure?

I am attaching an image of interface connector which I got from a website. Now arrange properly in whatever I have described in the diagram also Jumper cap should be on the 2 pins that I have marked as a circle.

Looks to me a some problem with the HDD may be that would be a problem for you. So do watch out for the same. also one more thing that I would like to point out is that you have also mentioned about the mismatching of the ram in your system. Do have a check about that. If it is not matching then it will surely give problems during the boot up. Have a check with your old ram and then cross verify it works or not.