Thread: Return the TOLUD back to 3.0GB

Return the TOLUD back to 3.0GB

I have a laptop at my home. And I am the user of an eGPU (DIY ViDock). But I face a problem of stuck using an old BIOS file. I also found this type of problem in a ViDock 3/4/4+ with 4GB or more memory (actually my friend has this type of configuration he also face same problem). I have seen that The TOLUD was switched from 3.0GB to 3.5GB at some point, across all Thinkpad series BIOS files. I search on various forums and I found that there are many systems like T420s - 1.09 is the highest we can use, T420 - 1.15 is the highest, X220 - 1.11 is the highest. I am not sure but I can tell that the other series have the same issue as most BIOS changes are across the board with the systems. I want to use an external GPU device and don’t want to be stuck using an old BIOS that is missing important fixes for my laptop. So this is my problem if there is anyone who can help me to return the TOLUD back to 3.0GB..

Re: Return the TOLUD back to 3.0GB

I am the user of tablet pc from last two years. Before that I was use PDAs. I have also use the fujitsu products. I have great experience with those product. They are pretty durable, simple, and have power-on security. I also used the desktop with my Tablet PC for the use of 3d applications. I found out that PCI express expansion and the potential to consolidate the two year ago, but only recently saw people getting results. My friend tried this setup and found a solution in downgrading the BIOS, and that kept me from returning my X220T.there are so many products are available at competitive price nowadays like Fujitsu T901 + Quadro NVS 4200, Dell Precision M6600/6500 + touch screen. When I found the eGPU thread, I want to purchase fujitsu with the Quadro option. Because it has excellent support, with a easily recoverable tool set and procedures in case it didn't work. The price of the X220T is very high. I hope this will make you more comfortable to solve your problem.

By reading question I want to share my experience with you . I purchased a X220T on the hope that I could replicate the eGPU success and I also have a desktop, with my laptop. After receiving my X220T, I was immediately disappointed with several red flags . I won't get into those because it not a part of your problem but it was Thinkpad software tools that kept me from returning it in the first week. After that it is working fine which make me comfortable. But the problem is that it required a BIOS downgrade which now introduces problems. I thought that this change may been made to fix a bug, but just as you have other BIOS options that could potential break the system. As you mentioned in your problem, TOLUD selection can be one of them. This is my problem which is similar to yours. I think you can get much idea about the whole situation which help you to solve your problem.

There are some solutions which can use to solve your problem. You can disable the x16 pci-e port hosting the dGPU (T420/T420s/T520 only).this is mostly use solution to shrink TOLUD/TOLM which would be helpful TOLUD/TOLM. For that you should disable the x16 port (0:1.0) that the NVS4200M is hosted off. That port would always be enabled on a T420/T420s/T520s that is optioned with the NVS4200M. You can disable it by the procedure which is equivalent of 'setpci -s 0:0.0 54.l=0:2' in the bios. It is not possible to disable that port after bios bootup, which was possible using Series-5 and older chipsets because that field is TXT locked by the Series-6 chipset. This is very good option to implement an eGPU. There is not any possibility when using a Series-6 chipset. Many people may forego the NVS4200M option as it otherwise adds complexity in getting two NVidia GPUs (dGPU and eGPU) working in an Optimus configuration

I think this problem widely found in many users. There can be various solutions. Here I provide you some information. A desktop eGPU requires 256MB of 32-bit PCI space at a 256MB boundary. Older X220/T420 bios sets TOLUD=3.0GB when have 4GB or more installed so does provide free PCI space to accomodate a eGPU. The new bios that sets TOLUD=3.5GB when have 4GB or more installed so cannot provide this PCI space to accomodate a eGPU. I can give you some solutions for that. Those are as follows:(1).run the new bios with 3GB or less RAM (2). Roll back to the old bios which sets TOLUD=3GB so can run their 4GB or more RAM.the reason is they do not have the latest bios with fixes to some critical issues like mSATA SSDs being undetected. (3) Return their Lenovo X220/T420 and buy a system without TOLUD issues.

I read your problem. This is the major issue in this field. I have some suggestions. Make it possible to use external GPUs again. Because I had to downgrade to 1.11. my desktop is replaced by My x220t and I rely on the additional GPU power. you can use an older x220 bios due to the TOLUD change. if there is a toggle switch or something hidden then we can use the updated BIOS.the main reason to use the X220 is the ability to use an eGPU. It is not possible anymore with the new BIOS versions that are fixing some serious problems. A simple switch somewhere in the BIOS would be enough

Hi Guys, I decided to register and post to let you know that the problem has been alerted to Lenovo however they don't seem to want to budge on fixing it.

Please voice your dissatisfaction on the matter! We need more voices to show Lenovo that this is something that MUST be fixed.

I was able to find the bios ver. 1.11 for the x220, see if the bios can be downgraded:

-Manufacturer: Lenovo
    -Model : ThinkPad X220, X220i, X220 Tablet, X220i Tablet
    -Bios Revision: 1.11 (14 Apr 2011)
    -Bios place: http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-77280
    -Bios Type: Insyde
    -Tools: Phoenix Mod Tool v1.85
    -Modifier: TTAV134

The bios can be downgraded but that is not the point. If you downgrade the bios you get the throttling problem, msata detection problem plus many more fixes addressed in the newer revisions.

Somewhere I read that ff Lenovo aren't going to correct the newer bios then T420 owners with 4GB or more will require bios 1.15, available here to run their eGPU. If they want to use the newer bios then they'll need to remove RAM so they have only 3GB or less physically installed.