Thread: Suggest whether I should upgrade to a Dual core AM2+ on AM2 board?

Suggest whether I should upgrade to a Dual core AM2+ on AM2 board?

Hi guys, sorry for the trouble, actually I am in confusion, so though that, it would be better to take suggestion of experts on it, I had recently purchases a brand new CPU for my computer and while usually it have core AMD Athlon 64 bit 2.2GHz On ASUStech NODUSM motherboard along with Phoenix V3.04 BIOS, and it is a Compaq Presario and the place from where I got my CPU they have told me about the my socket as it is AM2 (940) and I am sure about it and at the time when I installed the new CPU i figure out that the fan has been supplied has a 4 pin connector and while there are three pin connector on my board so I think that the extra one is just for different fan speed and either for connection of my unusual fan and at the time when I switch ON the fan on CPU it start running at full speed which is creating much louder noise and keep coming for at least 1 minutes, with no output to the monitor at all and after that switched itself off completely. And Dell even BIOS who don’t have supports for compatibility between the two provided sockets, so is it the problem.. so any suggestion on this will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Suggest whether I should upgrade to a Dual core AM2+ on AM2 board?

I memorized by watching CPU listed and the time when it suddenly shown for sale again. The original X2 5000 was the Black Edition which have 2.6 GHz default as what I Consider. And the edition you have listed is some hybrid which is running at 2.2ghz and only 55w-65w and not a Black Edition. I suspect there is no bios sustain currently on your board for this particular chip, it's also odd that the model number when it used again. And the 940 is a pin count for you AM2socket which are also use to pin out of the normal AMD X2 5000BE. And the latest Am3 socket is 939 pins are again but uses the similar 940 pin socket put as an Am2 less one pin.

If you think that this has not been compatible after changing out the motherboard. So if you had not buy it yet then better not go with board of HP, Compaq micro and this will work superb on it, and I think they are very limited option, and you can also get it on the Ebay and addition to that if you are on windows system then your system will require bios of Compaq or of HP, depend on which board you have select, so otherwise you can opt for any other brand of board which don’t have the HP bios.

Better you should go on Newegg they usually give discount on such product and the refund also if unfortunately you get some defective product and the power supply which are provide on ebay use to put the product on the front and if someone don’t bids for that product, so it will be much better for you as once I had just paid 8.99$ for a brand new 600W power supply and after you locate your choice of product then simply as fast as you can place an order then within the same week or most probably within the next week you will get your delivery.

You should locate a cheap AM2+ board on some hardware selling site, and prior before buying it, I should recommend you to go on official site or on the manufacturer website to get the correct information about it, that whether it is compatible with your board or not and there you will get the total list for the compatible parts for your board.

Thanks guys, thank you so much for helping me in making decision, I had went to the developer site and find out the for all compatible parts which can fits and operate on my boards, so this is not much harder for you even and me, sorry if had trouble you, and I watch for Newegg and it is just awesome site, and I am enjoying to visit it and before purchase I can getting all information about the product and no matter for what product I searched for , on the spot I got a list of similar product in my search result. You guys are really doing excellent job.