Thread: Erasing an optical disc very securely before disposal

Erasing an optical disc very securely before disposal

Plextor has an optical disk drive rubber that sensitive data can be removed from a disk before it has: Is it possible to erasing the standard feature on all optical drives? It seems silly to have to buy a separate unit for erasing discs. In the past I've thought about buying a shredder, but now I'm worried that using it will release toxic chemicals in the workplace. Please need suggestions as soon as possible.

Re: Erasing an optical disc very securely before disposal

I cannot answer your question directly, but the Plextor PX-760 and PX-755 DVD witers PlexEraser have similar functionality to destroy the control (Quick) or the entire disc (Full). So no need to buy a dedicated device. The unit is faster PlexEraser however, and burn marks visible in the media, so you can easily see if they have been destroyed. I guess if you can write your own firmware for a DVD recorder would be possible to implement a similar capacity.

A quick 1 or 2 seconds in a microwave oven located in its lowest position should do the trick easily. I put the metal part and immediately open the door when the top flashes. I only do this with the discs I burned with no commercials produced CDs and DVDs. Until at least 3 disks can be done at once. I've never done more than that. I have used this procedure because I heard about a program Callforhelp.

You know it's a very bad advice and I think we should not encourage anyone to do. All microwave instructions specifically say not of metal to be used inside and putting it directly into a very dangerous risk! I have tried this way once: if you have a barbecue, which will start very hot fire and then put the CD to heat to melt the distance data. The disc was black and read! If you really want to destroy the data will only be fed through a wood chipper. Either that or put it on a lathe and run at top speed, while gradually with a tool to cut the edges until all that’s left is the central axis and plenty of plastic chips.

With CDs, you can use tape to remove the protective layer / reflective and then applying a solvent for the same dye. Isopropyl Alcohol seems to work well for this. The process is similar for the DVD, but you have to split the 2 layers of polycarbonate to expose the dye. If you want the simple vulnerable side is the face of the label. Execution on several occasions through some medium coarse sandpaper, or be labeled as the second area of severely active belt sander.

Are you sure you are not thinking about the very old or Azo dyes, azo-metal? I actually prefer using cyanine dye CD-R, they are much easier to identify obvious defects or damage subsequent thermal burns discs used for audio. Suitable for Sony and Maxell labeled "Audio CD-R" discs I wish both the use of cyanine dyes. I wish I could get azo dye discs, if only as they are a nice shade of blue to the eye burned and unburned.