Thread: Numpad not working after kernel update in linux

Numpad not working after kernel update in linux

I recently had a upgrade of my kernel in my Linux operating system. Well after the upgrading of my kernel my numpad is not working properly. Even after keeping the numlock on/off it does not matter. Are these kernel update properly tested or not before the release of the particular version. I have heard that ubuntu blacklists all the old hardware’s. So what’s the use of that, according to me an operating system must handle all types of the hardware. I have a Toshiba satellite l650 c13. So do you have any suggestions such that my numpad of the laptop starts working again.

Re: Numpad not working after kernel update in linux

Well I think the blacklisting part is necessary because it protects the hardware which is replaced by the new driver. So it does not give access to the old hardware. However that is true, kernel updates are coming with the un-necessary breakages that lead to the non functioning of the some types of hardware. Well we really cant do much about it rather then waiting for the nest update to solve the issue. So that’s what the solution I can give you right now. If you want more solutions then you can try searching the internet.

Well you can try booting your system from the earlier version of the kernel. Yes that is possible and you can do it by using the GRUB. Well it has the option of multibooting feature which will really help you. Well it is mostly used by the gnu operating systems but these days it has become highly popular with the Linux operating systems. So my advice would be to go with this particular product and try booting your system with the earlier kernel version.

Yes, I have tried working with the previous version of the kernel and sadly in this case also it is not working. I have booted the system twice still it is not giving me any results. So can you suggest me some other methods or solutions that will help me out with this problem. I have tried searching on the internet and I have come across several shortcuts which they claim to enable numpad in the keyboard but none of them working.

As per now you can try with the on screen keyboard. That will enable you to enter the words without using the keyboard. So you can directly enter the key letters and numbers using the mouse and the word or the numbers will get typed in the screen. So use this is a temporary method and wait for the next kernel update to solve your keyboard issue completely. So just try with this suggestion it will definitely help you.