Thread: Apple iBook G3 12 Hard Drive

Apple iBook G3 12 Hard Drive

Hey guys! I have an Apple iBook 12" with 128 MB RAM and a CD/DVD combo drive. I started facing the problems with my computer booting process which I can’t able to understand it. I had called the technical support engineer from the apple and they said me to utilize the boot up CD and repair the drive. This worked for a while until one time I went to turn it on and the Hard Disk totally get failed. I went and purchase a new 20 GB HD for my iBook. I followed the orders found on the ifixit.com and replaced the Hard Drive. Only when I turn on the computer I hear the sound of CD-ROM spinning up and the hard drive spin and the fan kick-on but the screen won't turn on. So I replace my old one in and it started working fine. I need my computer working proper as it was pervious. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance!

Re: Apple iBook G3 12 Hard Drive

I had the same problem which you are facing now but, as looking toward your posted problem I think you haven’t installed the Operating System on your new Hard disk. You have to just install the Operating System first on your Hard Disk and then see whether it is working or not. I think this will solve your problem properly.
    Last edited by Fabian; 07-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.

Sorry you are correct till now I didn’t install the operating system on my new Hard disk but the reason that I don’t have any other Mac by which I can’t able to install the Operating System. I don't have the original restore disks, but I have Mac Operating System X Tiger 10.4 CD which I had purchased it from apple. Do I use it for the installation of the operating system?

If you have the new upgraded Tiger disk with you then it is fine, but mainly it is expecting to find Panther on the hard drive. Also, check whether you have an external Hard Disk enclosure or caddy that you could put the other drive into. Just go through I you will surely sort out your problems this time.

Have you got an ATA conflict with your new Hard Disk most probably? Ok, its fine makes sure your jumper settings for fresh and original Hard Disk is proper. It's possible that "no jumper" that means, e.g. Master for older and Slave for fresh one. There is only one ATA channel in iBooks and Master/Slave things are important for it during this process.

I think it is not the huge problem you are facing for, primarily check the jumper of the new hard drive as master and check whether the cable you connect to select device is plug properly and because sometime it won’t recognize the hard disk. Check it and then switch on your Apple iBook it will work properly.