Thread: unable to communicate with HP scanning software in Vista

angry unable to communicate with HP scanning software in Vista

Hi I am te4aring my hair out, I have tried everything on these forums, and have got to the point where Windows Fax and Scan works but not the HP software.

I have an HP LJ2840, that we are network connected with. I would like to use the scan to button from the machine. With an old XP box on the network (which has since died) the scanner worked perfectly. Now I would like either a Vista or Windows 7 box to be able to control the scanner. I have setup the software (from the HP website) under administrator, and the standard user.

No matter how I have done it I still get this message when I run the HP Digital Imaging Monitor, and if I try and scan from the device it cannot find the scanner

Re: unable to communicate with HP scanning software in Vista

No matter how I have done it I still get this message when I run the HP Digital Imaging Monitor
    but what is the error message that you are getting? I didn't find it on your post. Can you provide us the same? And you post is very confusing to me. I think you mentioned that you are unable to use scanning software from HP on Vista or Windows 7 but you didn't mentioned what problem you have! Please be more specific.

It is the subject of the post. Complete message:
    "Unable to communication with HP scanning software. Please verify that it has been installed and is working properly. If this problem persists please shut down your application and try again"

Just a further note, the scanner is set on manual IP, and I have forced the network card to 100FDx (as per a post here already)

In order to fix this error you remove your scanner and completely uninstall the software first. After doing this there are some HP-related code that still remain on your system. To get rid of this code, clean your drive of any folders that stay from the HP installation. Now under the windows installation folder you need to delete HP Instant Support DI and Memories Disc subfolders from the main HP folder. Once you are done reboot the system and reinstall the software. Hope this should work.

Do the removal and deleting under program files, where are the Hp instant supprt DI and Memories Disc subfolders? Checked under windows nada.

Quote Originally Posted by warsza View Post
    Do the removal and deleting under program files, where are the Hp instant supprt DI and Memories Disc subfolders? Checked under windows nada.
    Open My Computer, go ahead into C drive or whichever you have had installed the Windows (Windows System Files). Under this folder you will find Hewlett Packard Folder, open the same. And in this folder you will find the Hp instant supprt DI and Memories Disc subfolder than you need to delete.

I am going to zip and remove it, I am running a HP tablet, so nervious about deleting all HP stuff. If it is needed I can always unzip l8r thanks, busy uninstalling (for the 3rd time this week) will report back

Removed all folders under program files, program data, windows called either Hewlett Packard or HP and reload, still same error.

By the way I got the XP box up for a little bit, it still works like charm before it hangs, seem to have a memory problem on the XP box. But it proves that the device is not faulty.

I have flawlessly worked with XP clients, but the only way we could get it to scan to computer is you have to install the full driver and software suite to be able to scan. Basically, the software installs a utility where it can scan to the computer, and then the computer will either e-mail it or save it to a predefined folder. Actually, there are no scanner drivers on the hp site only drivers and prinitng software. You have to have the original cd to load the program that allows scanning to and from a pc.

I agree and the software (not the vista version obviously) works fine on a XP box, but I no mater what I have tried using this forum or others I cannot get it to work in Vista with the Vista software from HP

Open up Windows Registry Editor. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\HEWLETT-PACKARD. Remove all of the entries which are associated with your HP LJ2840 by right-clicking on it and selecting Delete. Also look into Digital Imaging and remove any subkey which is referring to HP LJ2840. Close the registry editor. Go to My Computer, C: drive and then Windows folder. Search for a folder with name Twain_32 and move it to another drive. Reboot your computer and see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    I deleted all the hewlett packard registery entries, the twain folder, rebooted, nothing worked, so uninstalled, then deleted all registry entries (after backing up), the hp folder under windows and program files. Still same problem. Each time this costs me 2-3 hrs of work.

I found a patch that HP wrote for scanning, not for use with the LJ2840, but their normal scanner and applied it and now I can scan from their solution centre, ye ha here is the link