Thread: Portable hard disk is not detected by DVD player

Portable hard disk is not detected by DVD player

I own a LG DVD player which supports usb devices. It can play other formats like Divx , avi etc. I can play movies using my memory stick on the dvd player. But i recently purchased a Transcend 1 TB portable hard drive which i thought i could plug into the USB port present on the dvd player and play the movie from the hard drive but to my surprise the portable hard disk is not detected by DVD player . Any help in this matter would be appreciated.

Re: Portable hard disk is not detected by DVD player

I think that the 1 TB volume is not supported by the dvd player. Some of the devices have limitations in the firmware consider the PVR's disk they are limited. I am also aware of the skybox that can eventually play a 1 TB hard disk but it is not in its native form check in the user manual about the limitations of your hard drive.

Most probably it might be due to the large volume of the hard disk which is one TB. Since they are built in such a way that such large volume might not be detected by the DVD player hence i would suggest you not to connect the hard disk because either the hard disk or the DVD player will be damaged.

The dvd player will not detect the hard disk because your portable hard disk is not compatible with the dvd player Secondly you should try to convert the movies on the portable hard drive to a file format which could be played by the dvd player for this refer the user manual and convert the files to the formats described in the user manual. Now the hdd can be read by the dvd player

You need to copy the movies to a pen drive and then connect the pen drive to the device. this is the only way you can watch your movies since these types of dvd player are meant only to connect pen drive and similar low volume drives like memory cards and this will not detect a large volume portable hard disk. I hope you will fix this soon.

These types of devices will not be detected by the dvd player because of their large values. you can try to use pen drives to watch your movies and hence this might solve your problem. Also try to check the manufacturer's website and check whether portable hard disks are compatible with the dvd player or not. You will get the answer there.

hii
    i recently formatted my transcend 500gig hardisk using a pc..ever since i did my sony dvd wunt detect it so i figured the software/drivers were also deleted..anyone with a clue on how i can solve this please?

This looks that you had formatted your internal hard drive. You will need to run a bootable disc to install operating system. Like Windows bootable cd. There is not need to run drivers for a CD/DVD because they are already properly configured in your system. They are plug and play device. Just check the cables and use a Bootable disc to install operating system. Do not forget to select CD Rom as your primary bootable device from the BIOS.

Mayur> the Pc detects the hard dist..its the dvd that doesnt..
    it used to before i formatted but stopped right after i formated