Thread: Problem with hardware not recognised after boot up

Problem with hardware not recognised after boot up

I've just installed an hp scanner 5p to a new vista machine, helped enormously by the posts I found on this site - thank you.

Now, I have a problem I found previously on older machines - if I have the scanner switched on when I boot, the system finds it later. However if it's not switched on when I start up, the system can't find it when I switch on later.

Of course, I can always remember to turn it on at the start of the day, or I can reboot, but both of these are far from ideal ways of working. Does anyone know of any other way to tell Vista that the scanner is there if I turn on later?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Re: Problem with hardware not recognised after boot up

Seriously speaking, Windows Vista sucks!! Well this may happen as a lot of processes are running on your computer. Or may be your USB ports not functioning well or there is a driver issue. You experiencing this with only your scanner or some other devices too..?

I should have said I'm using a SCSI adapter - and it also used to happen to my Iomega zip (parallel port version). I haven't got a parallel port on the new PC, so can't report on that. I have no problems adding new usb devices on the run, so they're fine.

Quote Originally Posted by charlesharris View Post
    I should have said I'm using a SCSI adapter - and it also used to happen to my Iomega zip (parallel port version). I haven't got a parallel port on the new PC, so can't report on that. I have no problems adding new usb devices on the run, so they're fine.
    I don't think all SCSI devices are plug and play, so this problem is obvious to happen.