Thread: How to enable dma on my DVD drive

How to enable dma on my DVD drive

HI,
    I can not activate dma(Direct Memory Access) on my main dvd drive, Whenever I try to write CD's Nero says that DMA is not enabled for DVD drive.However I checked in Device Manager that both CDRW and DVD IDE channels use DMA
    I tried to enable DMA in Nero "DMA Manager",it accepts and inform me to restart the system which I did.Even after restart Nero is not indicating the DVD drive as DMA Ready

Configuration
    Motherboard of PC CHIPS M825 LU,
    Hard disk 40 gb, Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 model ST340014A.
    2Gb ram
    Windows xp
    |===================|
    |YAY if that made sense...|
    |===================|

Re: How to enable dma on my main hard drive

For Windows XP, Direct Memory Access (DMA) is not set for individual Hard Drives and Optical Drives. Instead, Direct Memory Access is set for the Primary IDE Channel and the Secondary IDE Channel. In short, each IDE Channel allows you to have two devices connected for a total of four IDE devices. These devices can be a combination of Hard Disk Drives, Optical Drives and Tape Backup Drives etc. Therefore, if both channels are set for DMA access, then all the channel devices in your system will be set to use DMA.

For Windows XP

1. Go into your Control Panel by first clicking on the Start Button.
    2. Then click on the Control Panel icon located in the right column of the Start Menu.
    3. If your Start Menu is set to the Classic View, then begin by clicking on the Start Button.
    4. Then click on Settings, then click on the Control Panel icon to open up the Control Panel.
    5. Now, Double click on the System icon to open up the System Properties window.
    6. Now click on the Hardware tab located at the top of the screen.
    7. Then click on the Device Manager button in the center area of the screen.
    8. Now click on the plus sign [+] next to the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers to expand that section.
    9. Then double click on the Primary IDE Channel to display the Primary IDE Properties window.
    10. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.
    11. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.
    12. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.
    13. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
    14. Then double click on the Secondary IDE Channel to display the Secondary IDE Properties window.
    15. Then click on the Advanced Settings Tab at the top of the screen.
    16. Now for Device 0, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is set to DMA if available.
    17. Then for Device 1, ensure that the Transfer Mode: selection is also set to DMA if available.
    18. Then click on the OK button at the bottom of the screen to save your settings.
    19. Then close Device Manager and the Control Panel to return back to your Windows session.

Re: How to enable dma on my DVD drive

In order to verify that your drive works in DMA mode, or to change it to DMA mode, follow these steps.

• Open the hardware setting dialog of Windows. To do this, right-click on 'My computer' and select Properties.
    • Then, choose the 'Hardware' tab and click on 'Device Manager'.
    • Each burner drive is controlled by an IDE ATA/ATAPI controller. There are probably two controllers in your computer, each with two devices.
    • The drive letter of each burner determines the controller and device responsible for it. The table below can be used to determine the correct controller for your burner drive.

Drive letter IDE ATA/ATAPI controller Device
      C:\ Primary - 0
      D:\ Primary - 1
      E:\ Secondary - 0
      F:\ Secondary - 1
    • Look for the 'IDE ATA/ATAPI' controllers icon and expand it by clicking on the (+) sign next to it. Select either the Primary or secondary IDE channel, which controls your burner drive, right click on it and select Properties.
    • Go to the 'Advanced settings' tab, and the device that you want to set (Device 0 or Device 1). The example below shows that drive D:\ works in PIO only mode. You should modify this to 'DMA if available' mode, to let Windows select DMA mode if it is supported by your burner (it usually is).
    • Then, click OK. Windows will ask you if you want to reboot, for these settings to take effect. You should allow it.
    • After booting up, the burner drive should work much faster and consume much less CPU power.