Thread: How to fix Windows network problems

How to fix Windows network problems

Please note: If you are connecting one computer directly to another (without using a hub, switch or router) using a single cable, you MUST use a crossover cable. You CANNOT use a regular Ethernet cable. For more information about these kinds of cables here are some Tips:

1.RESET YOUR NETWORKING CONFIGURATION
    For all Windows ME PCs, download and install the networking patch from Microsoft at http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q272/9/91.ASP

Go into your Control Panel and double-click on the Network icon.Make sure you have the following items installed:
    • Client for Microsoft Networks
    • Your Network adapter
    • TCP/IP
    • IPX/SPX
    • File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

If IPX/SPX is not listed, please take the time to install it now.

Double-click on Client for Microsoft Networks. Make sure 'Log on to Windows NT domain' does NOT have a check in the box next to it.Select 'Logon and restore network connections'. Click OK.

Double-click on your network adapter,and click the BINDINGS tab. Make sure both TCP/IP and IPX/SPX are listed and both are CHECKED. Click OK.

Double-click on TCP/IP, click on the tab that says BINDINGS and un-check File and Printer Sharing.Click on the tab that says ADVANCED, and where it says 'Allow Binding to ATM,' make sure the value is NO.Ensure there is a check in the box at the bottom of the window that says 'Set this protocol to be the default protocol'. Click OK.

Double-click on IPX/SPX and, on the NetBIOS tab, make sure it is UN-checked where it says 'I want to enable NetBIOS over IPX/SPX'.
    (Unless you are connecting to a Windows 2000 PC, in which case you will want this box to remain checked).
    Click on the Bindings tab and make sure that Client for Microsoft Networks and File and printer sharing BOTH ARE checked. Then click OK.

Double-click on File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks.Click once on Browse Master and make sure its value is set to Automatic. Click once on LM Announce and make sure its value is set to NO. Click OK.

Check for a button labeled 'File and Print Sharing…', click it once.Make sure that 'I want to be able to give others access to my files' is checked and 'I want to be able to allow others to print to my printer(s)' is also checked. Click OK.

Click on the IDENTIFICATION tab and change your workgroup name to WORKGROUP (please use all capital letters, Caution:the workgroup name can be case-sensitive on some PCs).

Then Click on the Access Control tab and make sure that Share-level access control IS selected.

re-boot your system,make sure you select resources which you want to share on each PC. To share the D: drive, double-click the My Computer icon, Right-click on the C: drive, click on the ‘Sharing’ tab and select SHARED AS and click OK. Repeat this process for sharing Printers (right-click on the printer you want to share), or individual directories (right-click on the yellow folder you wish to share). Optional password protection can be found here as well.

When you re-boot, and you should be able to double-click My Network Places, then double-click Entire Network and click VIEW THE ENTIRE CONTENTS OF THIS FOLDER (on the left side of the window). If the left side says HIDE THE CONTENTS OF THIS FOLDER, then you did it correctly.

Re: How to fix Windows network problems

Getting an Error message while clicking on Entire Network-> Cannot browse network then follow the steps:

1. Microsoft has acknowledged there is a potential problem with Windows Me attempting to contact the master browser for the workgroup over one protocol, instead of attempting to contact the master browser over both protocols. They have provided a ‘patch’ for this, but you must contact their technical support to receive it. Please see this Microsoft Knowledge Base article:http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=gp;[ln];kberror&style=error&errurl=%2fdefault.aspx%2fkb%2fq284084%2f

2. There is, however, an alternative to this support patch. On the computer that will be on most often, in it’s Control Panel, double-click the Network icon, double-click File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks, and where it says Browse Master, set it to enabled.

3. On all the other PC’s on the network, set the above setting to DISABLED, so that only ONE PC is running with Browse Master ENABLED.