Thread: ERP systems in an Enterprise ?

ERP systems in an Enterprise ?

I am a management student pursuing BMS from mumbai university . I have huge plans in my future. After completion of my graduation I will do MBA from a well known college and then work for at least 4 to 5 tears. After having work experience, I am planning to expand my father's venture into a multinational company. I know this seems funny to you but it is not. I wanted to ask about the ERP systems, Are those systems helpful in any possible ways . Can anyone please elaborate in detail.

Re: ERP systems in an Enterprise ?

I really appreciate your views. No it does not sound funny at all, it seems you are very ambitious and have set your future plans and objectives from now on. If you really want to diversify your father' business and turn it into a MNC, then you should definitely use ERP systems . ERP systems have a big edge over the traditional way of managing an enterprise , unlike traditional way an enterprise way has integrated functional areas where each and every department ha co-ordination with each other . This enterprise way helps in better decision making and lead the enterprise towards a common goal,Where you can divide the functional areas such that it department becomes a group of individuals which has a common goal or objective. In traditional way the interaction is only at the top level, this leads in conflict of ideas at the managerial level, so they are excluded from the decision making part.In a well organized enterprise each and every individual directly or indirectly influences the decision making. So first you will have to organize your organization in a well managed firm and then opt for the ERP implementation.
    Last edited by G-MAT; 19-11-2010 at 04:43 AM.

ERP system stand for Enterprise Resource planning . First this ERP system were meant only for Manufacturing firms but now they have made lot of changes that they can also be implemented in lots of areas such as Accounting, Marketing, Sales and Management, Production and planning and Finance . They are implemented to automate the tedious task and processes. Ir should be the mirror image of a any organization . All the core business activities must be reflected in the business models and data models of the company. It also helps in organizing and transferring the information which are required to flow from one functional area to the other. For example if there is an order for purchase then the warehouse department should be intimated to check if the stock is available or not.

If you really have decided to implement the ERP system then think and decide, because implementing an ERP system it not an easy task to do , and I have heard that not all ERP system implementation are successful always and you cannot dare the consequences of it's failure , you may ask your father how much is 6the investment is required to implement it in any organization and how many phases it passes to complete. You will require to hire a consultant, they charge their client heavily but they are really skillful and will guide who the whole throughout the implementation and train your employees about how to use the newly installed system

As Said earlier ERP Implementations includes lots of complicated process , So you will require assistance from a consultant. A Consultant will charge you as per you’re your module implementation . You are always advisable to hire a consultant because implementing ERP projects include lots of tedious task and typically In-house developments require professional trained Consultants. Usually the implementation vary from the type of industry and it’s functionality. Because it depends on the organization on which module it wishes to stress more and specialize in that module. The Basic implementation phases are same but later on it alterations can be made.

The Success o ERP implementation depends on one activity that is known as Data Migration . If there is effective data migrating that is there is an effective flow of data among each and every functional area , then success rate of implementation goes higher. But there are a lot of things to be considered , that is planning of data migration must be done. This activity is the last activity in the ERP implementation phase but it occurs before the production phase. It has time constraints so it takes minimum attention . This phases go in order, first happens the consultation from the hired consultant, then customizing the project as desired by the enterprise that mostly fits with the environment, and after implementation the support from the Designers and developers in case of any problem. Even they have to keep training sessions among the enterprise's staff.