Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: New student visa system for United Kingdom

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    New student visa system for United Kingdom

    UK is introducing a new student visa system, which will place greater responsibility on universities and colleges in an attempt to weed out bogus students and facilitate genuine applications. It is called Tier 4 of the Points Based System (PBS), wherein applicants need to score 40 points in order to qualify for a student visa - 30 points for a visa letter issued by a licensed sponsor and 10 points for showing you have enough money to cover your course fees and living costs.

    The visa letter is an 'unconditional offer' from an education provider (university/college). It shows that the education provider will act as the student's 'immigration sponsor,' is confident that he/she is capable of doing the course of study for which he/she has applied, and accepts responsibility for the student while he/she is in the UK. "Under Tier 4, we will see education providers taking the onus of ensuring a prospective student's ability and English language proficiency," said Chris Dix, regional director, South Asia and Gulf, UK Border Agency (UKBA).

    Dix said, "Many students receive multiple 'offer letters,' which makes it increasingly difficult to keep track of which university/college they eventually enrol in. But, with the new visa tying a student down to a specific university/college, this will no longer be the case. This will further ensure that those going to the UK on a student visa are, in fact, there to study." So, while students may still receive multiple visa letters, they can use only one to apply for the visa. If the student wants to change institutions after obtaining the visa, he/she would need to take permission from the UKBA.

    The new system will make the visa process “simpler, more objective, and more transparent” and will be a good thing for both the administrative agency and students.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008

    Re: New student visa system for United Kingdom

    Dix said, "Students who successfully complete a Bachelor's programme or higher can apply for a work visa.
    under Tier 1 (post-study and highly skilled workers) within a year of graduating. This allows them to stay and work in the UK for another two years." Also,

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-03-2012, 06:33 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 08:48 AM
  3. Can a phone bought in China work in United Kingdom
    By GHAITH in forum Portable Devices
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 14-02-2011, 11:42 AM
  4. System Specifications for animation student
    By pradeep pk in forum Motherboard Processor & RAM
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-07-2009, 08:19 AM
  5. List of Universities in United Kingdom
    By KumarK in forum Education Career and Job Discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 18-03-2009, 11:39 AM

Tags for this Thread


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Page generated in 1,708,817,584.62583 seconds with 16 queries