Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links



Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

Windows XP Support


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 03-03-2008
RG
 
Posts: n/a
Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe Mode or
boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and nothing much has
changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and re-build/Recover.
Cheers.

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-03-2008
Patrick Keenan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

"RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
> One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe Mode or
> boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and nothing much has
> changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and re-build/Recover.
> Cheers.


What exactly happens? If it's failing or incompatible hardware, a rebuild
or recover or restore won't and can't fix it.

-pk

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-03-2008
RG
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

Starts as normal get the Windows XP screen with the bar at the bottom and
restarts. Does the same thing when you select "Last Known Good".
Gets to mup.dll (the last dll I think) when trying in SafeMode and restarts.
Stays in that loop/s until you power off.

Cheers.

"Patrick Keenan" wrote:

> "RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
> > One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe Mode or
> > boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and nothing much has
> > changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and re-build/Recover.
> > Cheers.

>
> What exactly happens? If it's failing or incompatible hardware, a rebuild
> or recover or restore won't and can't fix it.
>
> -pk
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-03-2008
Patrick Keenan
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

"RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:A8C1E288-7AF5-4452-A638-8E377BB2D36D@microsoft.com...
> Starts as normal get the Windows XP screen with the bar at the bottom and
> restarts. Does the same thing when you select "Last Known Good".
> Gets to mup.dll (the last dll I think) when trying in SafeMode and
> restarts.
> Stays in that loop/s until you power off.
>
> Cheers.


If you can pop the drive out and attach it to another system, try this,
which has worked for me in that situation more than once: delete the one
or two large files in the root, pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys, and then
empty the recycle bin. Put the drive back in and try restarting.

HTH
-pk

>
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>
>> "RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
>> > One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe Mode
>> > or
>> > boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and nothing much has
>> > changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and re-build/Recover.
>> > Cheers.

>>
>> What exactly happens? If it's failing or incompatible hardware, a
>> rebuild
>> or recover or restore won't and can't fix it.
>>
>> -pk
>>
>>


Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-03-2008
Gerry
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

RG

What happens if you during Start-Up select the option - Disable
automatic restart on system failure. Do you you get a Stop Error Report
you can copy here?

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


RG wrote:
> Starts as normal get the Windows XP screen with the bar at the bottom
> and restarts. Does the same thing when you select "Last Known Good".
> Gets to mup.dll (the last dll I think) when trying in SafeMode and
> restarts. Stays in that loop/s until you power off.
>
> Cheers.
>
> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>
>> "RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
>>> One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe
>>> Mode or boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and
>>> nothing much has changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and
>>> re-build/Recover.
>>> Cheers.

>>
>> What exactly happens? If it's failing or incompatible hardware, a
>> rebuild or recover or restore won't and can't fix it.
>>
>> -pk



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-03-2008
Jonty
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

Hey there!
If you have the CD, you can do a "Repair Install" which keeps all your files
and settings and programs etc.
1. Boot into the CD
2. Press Enter to Install
3. It will ask you whether you want to repair or not. Press R. (Make sure
you don't get confused with the "Recovery "Console, which we DON'T want).
4. This will reinstall windows. Follow the on screen instructions. (You will
need a key).
5. When you get the blue screen for first time configuration, when you get
to the user account steps, press SKIP at the bottom.

Hope this helps,
Jonty

"RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
> One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe Mode or
> boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and nothing much has
> changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and re-build/Recover.
> Cheers.


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-03-2008
RG
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

Do I get to that from F8 when the PC starts? As I can't get in Windows at all.

Thanks.

"Gerry" wrote:

> RG
>
> What happens if you during Start-Up select the option - Disable
> automatic restart on system failure. Do you you get a Stop Error Report
> you can copy here?
>
> --
>
>
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>
>
> RG wrote:
> > Starts as normal get the Windows XP screen with the bar at the bottom
> > and restarts. Does the same thing when you select "Last Known Good".
> > Gets to mup.dll (the last dll I think) when trying in SafeMode and
> > restarts. Stays in that loop/s until you power off.
> >
> > Cheers.
> >
> > "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
> >
> >> "RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
> >>> One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe
> >>> Mode or boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and
> >>> nothing much has changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and
> >>> re-build/Recover.
> >>> Cheers.
> >>
> >> What exactly happens? If it's failing or incompatible hardware, a
> >> rebuild or recover or restore won't and can't fix it.
> >>
> >> -pk

>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2008
Gerry
 
Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good

RG

Yes.

Disconnect all peripherals except keyboard, mouse and monitor. This may
help.

Are you able to boot using your Windows XP CD? You may need to change
the Boot Order Sequence.

--



Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

RG wrote:
> Do I get to that from F8 when the PC starts? As I can't get in
> Windows at all.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> RG
>>
>> What happens if you during Start-Up select the option - Disable
>> automatic restart on system failure. Do you you get a Stop Error
>> Report you can copy here?
>>
>> --
>>
>>
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>>
>> RG wrote:
>>> Starts as normal get the Windows XP screen with the bar at the
>>> bottom and restarts. Does the same thing when you select "Last
>>> Known Good". Gets to mup.dll (the last dll I think) when trying in
>>> SafeMode and restarts. Stays in that loop/s until you power off.
>>>
>>> Cheers.
>>>
>>> "Patrick Keenan" wrote:
>>>
>>>> "RG" <RG@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:E9E45686-A24B-46B2-8AB4-039F13C619FB@microsoft.com...
>>>>> One of my Windows XP (Home Edition) PC's won't boot, boot via Safe
>>>>> Mode or boot via Last Known Good. I built it 6 weeks ago and
>>>>> nothing much has changed, Hardware problem? I'm going to try and
>>>>> re-build/Recover.
>>>>> Cheers.
>>>>
>>>> What exactly happens? If it's failing or incompatible hardware, a
>>>> rebuild or recover or restore won't and can't fix it.
>>>>
>>>> -pk



Reply With Quote
Reply

  TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags:



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads for: "Windows XP wont Safe Boot or Last Known Good"
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Windows 7 wont start and freezes up in safe mode gavman0621 Operating Systems 1 28-08-2012 11:19 AM
XP wont boot past option to boot to temp boot device and cant get to F8 option for advanced boot menu justliam Windows XP Support 1 23-04-2011 04:41 PM
xp wont boot even in safe mode mrcaine Operating Systems 1 11-02-2010 02:21 AM
xp wont boot even in safe mode mrcaine Operating Systems 4 28-01-2010 06:51 AM
Even In Safe Mode Windows Xp Wont Load, Help Soumen Operating Systems 2 12-03-2007 11:23 AM


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:53 PM.