Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Computer Won't Start, Returns To Logon Screen

Windows XP Support

Old 29-10-2008

Computer Won't Start, Returns To Logon Screen

I got a call from a business user regarding a PC with Windows XP with latest updates. He did some maintenance work on the computer defragging, spyware scan and removal, etc and now the PC will not start beyond the user style logon screen. When the computer starts it stops at the logon scree displaying an icon for his user account. If he clicks this icon then the computer tries to get to the desktop but comes right back to the logon screen with no error message displayed. He says that the mchine did not display the logon screen, that is, goes straight through to the desktop, until this issue happens. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks.

Old 29-10-2008

Re: Computer Won't Start, Returns To Logon Screen

Follow the below article on "You cannot log on to Windows XP after you remove Wsaupdater.exe" to solve your issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893
Old 29-10-2008

Thanks for the link, I will surely check that out and let you know about how it goes.
Old 04-11-2008

There might be another file in the process that can be replaced in winlogon.exe. You can try to run from a boot to CD and Recovery Console (press 'r' for Repair), the command:

(cd drive letter here):/i386/expand.exe (cd drive letter here):/i386/winlogon.ex_ %windir%/system32/winlogon.exe

After that the registry entry for wsaupdater should be:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

In the right pane, right-click userinit, and then click Modify. Replace wsaupdater.exe (or perhaps something else) with userinit.exe The way to access the registry from recovery console is a bit different from the normal windows interface, using REG.EXE
Old 04-11-2008

Will it be fine if I copy winlogon.ex_ directly from the i386 folder of the CD to C:/Windows/system32?
Old 04-11-2008

Incase this also gives an error, then you might have to logon as default Administrator to check if a new user can be created. Check also that the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon has any data value or not. If it doesnt then it could be a problem for you.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,