Thread: System Restore does not work

System Restore does not work

If I am pressing the Next button on the confirm Restore Points selection then nothing happens. I am trying for so many days now to find out a solution for the internet issues that I am having, actually the internet site is wrongly opened.

Re: System Restore does not work

Well, it seems to me that your pc is infected by some malware or adware and you need to use some antivirus software first to get rid of it. With System Restore you wont be able to remove the adware. You might need some help with some professional guys.

Thanks for the reply, I am trying to install the adaware remover but I cannot download anything. I dont want to go around with some expensive solution.

If you don't pay someone to fix your problem(s) now you might possibly face much more expensive problems in the future (like a ruined credit rating or an empty bank account.) I am having the exact same problem - can somebody please post the solution?

Can you try to disconnect from the internet and then try the System Restore in Safe Mode and then disable all the antivirus software. After that restart the computer and then log in to Safe mode again and then click on Start > All Progras > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore and then pick up a restore point to restore your computer.

did anyone solve the problem? We've got exactly the same happening, and don't have spare cash to throw at "professionals".

I also have the same problem.

I've run two different (updated) addware / spyware programs and they found nothing.

Even in safe mode when I click on the 'next' button nothing happens.

I've had this same problem with my Windows XP System Restore not working for at least a year. I've tried absolutely everything I could find to resolve it. NOTHING worked. All this time I've gone without a working System Restore, and it's been very frustrating, to say the least.

Thanks to your advice I found the problem and fixed it, quite simply...
    The problem was the System Restore file 'sr.inf' was missing, apparently removed or not installed with a Windows XP Service Pack update.

I picked this crap up yesterday and it's been driving me crazy!!! System restore "next" button did nothing. Norton was absolutely useless, (as to be expected). Found 2 programs that got me back in business. superantispyware.com found about 6 of the files. you can download this and they give you 3 free scans, more than enough to get rid of this crap. sad to say, this didn't get rid of all of it. Avast! antivirus cleaned up the rest. it runs a scan during startup, picked up 3 more files, trojans, when prompted as to action, select delete all, then you will start up, and system restore will function. Now, avast! had to be "purchased" from one of my favorite friendly sites, but after seeing their program knock this out...yeah, they rock. I really hope this helps some of you out, and whoever created this...well, i hope you rot in hell. ;)

System restore not working for me. I have tried it in safe mode as well. Ran virus checker and malware remover. I cannot get online using Explorer or Chrome. I CAN get on using AOL and Yahoo Messenger. Help or ideas as what could be causing this or ideas to fix it???