Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

"Open", "Save" or "Save As" dialog box default settings

Windows XP Support

Old 13-07-2008

"Open", "Save" or "Save As" dialog box default settings

I am having Windows XP installed on my computer and have got some problem in the Open, Save and Save As dialog box that seems with just all programs and Internet Explorer. It looks to me that all this dialog box defaults to the List view to show files. I always have to change it to te Details view each time I use the open selection. A real time waster when you open many files? Can anyone tell me how to set the default value to open to the Details views? Thanks.

Old 13-07-2008

Re: "Open", "Save" or "Save As" dialog box default settings

Well, you can try to open a common dialog box, and then change the view to the one you want, and then hit ctrl/cancel. Also check the below link:

85. Set Detail View for all Folders Open/Save As (Free Trial Software)
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm
Old 13-07-2008

Thanks for the solutions. I just did a quick trial with the ctrl/cancel and it seems to work. I am going to do some more trials and let you know about the details.
Old 13-07-2008

You can also download FileOpenPatcher from Elm?Soft that enlarges the Windows Open File dialog (in Comdlg32.dll). FileOpenPatcher is the successor of the famous MultiEnhancer. Download it by searching it on the net.
Old 23-07-2008

I think that the common dialog boxes open in List view by default in all but certain folders. Unfortunately you can't make a view change for a particular folder persistent. You can switch from List to Detailed view when you open a file , for example, but the next time you open a file, you'll be back at List view again.
Old 04-09-2008

You can also get a tool called File-Ex that automatically adds a wealth of enhancements to the File Open and File Save dialogs of nearly all Windows applications, to save time and mouse clicks. You'll have easy-to-use buttons added right to your application's file dialogs, making these functions available with just one click.
Old 04-09-2008

Thanks for the suggestions, I tried to use the FileOpenPatcher but I think that I will go back to File-Ex, that is offering far greater flexibility and useful additional options to me.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Windows XP > Windows XP Support
Tags: ,