Thread: Master Password feature in Google Chrome

Master Password feature in Google Chrome

Hello guys, I am using Google Chrome from a while and having some queries while using it. I am looking for some kind of extensions or methods by which it will be possible for me to store my password using Google Chrome. Also make sure that the list of those passwords is encrypted or protected by some other password, some kind of master password. It would be very kind of you guys, if someone come forward and share some useful information and tips regarding this issue of mine. Suggestions are always appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Re: Master Password feature in Google Chrome

Master Password feature is proving to be a very important feature in recent times as everyone has got so many email ids and other IDs and remembering all the important passwords can prove to be little hectic, By using the Master Password we can easily save all those important passwords in one list and lock them by using the Master Password. This kind of feature is available in Mozilla Firefox. Google Chrome is missing this feature, but you can make use of Chrome extensions or other third party software to achieve it and make it possible for your web browser.

I am using this extension called Passter for my Google Chrome in order to save all my important passwords. It has got many other important features as well. The most important one being able lock and store all those passwords either in your local computer system or store it in your Google documents account. Thus, making it possible for you to access all your saved passwords from any computer connected to Internet. You just need to enter your Master Password for it. So I would suggest you to use the Passter extension to set up a Master Password to save your other passwords. You can find this extension on Chrome Web Store.

Passter extension for Google Chrome is probably an excellent solution for creating a Master Password protection for your saved passwords. It will also make sure that even after sharing your local computer with other family members which has the same Windows account, all the multiple users will be able to save their respective passwords safely by using their respective Google account. And as all the files are stored in the Google documents account, it will add an extra protection to your files. Thus even if someone got to know your Master Password, they won’t be able to access your saved passwords unless they have got your Google Account password. You can also use the “Click and Clean” option in Passter extension to clear your cookies.

I am not sure whether this would be a useful suggestion for Google Chrome users but I have been using RoboForm software to save my passwords. It is available as a freeware as well as paid software. I am using the freeware version in my Internet Explorer web browser. The only issue with free version of Roboform is that it can save only up to 10 passwords. It is very handy to use. You can easily save and edit and delete those passwords. So, I would suggest you to try RoboForm software and get a Master Protection feature to save your other passwords.

Google Chrome is also provided with this feature called “Chrome Lock” which will make it possible for you to lock your Chrome browser with a password protection. This will allow only those users to access Google Chrome, who have the password to unlock it. Neither will be any unauthorized person will be able to start any new tab or visit any other website or even restart the Chrome browser. The Lock/unlock password will be required everywhere. Follow the below steps to enable Chrome Lock for your Google Chrome:
    • Press and hold Ctrl + Shift + L buttons in your keyboard to enable Chrome Lock.
    • Press and hold the above same keys to disable Chrome Lock.
    • In order to change the password, go to the settings page.
    • Make sure that your restart your browser in order to bring the changed password into effect.

Another freeware utility called Discolock can be used to password protect your programs. It is very useful software which consumes very less system resources. It basically restricts the Internet connection on your computer system. You can search for Discolock utility on Internet and download it in your system. Once you have downloaded the software, install it in your system. It is completely supported by Windows XP and the upcoming versions will be compatible with Windows Vista and Windows 7. Hope this will do the trick for you.

Google chrome is using the cryptographic key which is generated from your password of your Google account. It encrypts all your synced passwords. You choose an encryption method for encrypting your synched passwords:
    • Click on the settings icon (wrench icon). You will find this on the Chrome browser’s toolbar.
    • Click on Options for Windows / Preferences on Mac and Linux / Settings on Chrome OS
    • Now select the Personal Stuff tab.
    • Make sure sync is enabled. Click on “Customize” option in the "Sync" section
    • Now select the option for generating the cryptographic key:
      -------- Google Account password
      -------- Custom password
    • Finally, click on OK button to apply the changes.