Thread: Does C# supports interoperability ?

Does C# supports interoperability ?

I have heard a read a lot about the C# language and learned a lot for this forum. S far as the features of this language are concerned I have understood quite a few features of this language , but still one thing I never understood about this language is the interoperability feature , I am requesting the those people who post in the program related queries to post once again regarding this question , I will be grateful to you.

Re: Does C# supports interoperability ?

Interoperability allows you to conserve and take benefit of existing reserves in unmanaged code. Code that work under the management of the common language runtime (CLR) is known as managed code, and code that works in the outer surface of the CLR is known as unmanaged code. There are a few components such as COM, COM+, C++ and you would have also heard about the ActiveX components, and there is also the Microsoft Win32 API are instances of unmanaged code.

You can take and use a COM component from a C# project. The common steps are as follows:
    • Find a COM component to utilize and list it. Make use of regsvr32.exe to register or un–register a COM DLL.
    • Adjoin to the project a indication to the COM component or type library.
    • Create an object of a class that is described in the RCW. This, in turn, generates an instance of the COM object.
    • Use the instance just as you make use of other managed objects. When the object is acclaimed by garbage collection, the instance of the COM object is also set free from memory.

When you adjoin the reference, Visual Studio utilize the Tlbimp.exe (Type Library Importer), which consumes a type library as input, to yield a .NET Framework interop assembly. The assembly, also referred a runtime invokable able wrapper (RCW), includes managed classes and interfaces that bind the COM classes and interfaces which are present in the are in the type library. Visual Studio inserts to the project a indication to the created assembly.