Thread: What is actually the meaning of properties for C#?

What is actually the meaning of properties for C#?

I have decided to learn Csharp. I want to learn .Net also. I am also aware that .Net framework supports Csharp for most of its applications. But right now I am finding Csharp little difficult to grasp. I am not understanding what actually do you mean by Properties in Csharp? I am not able to grasp about properties from my notes as there is not much given about them.

Re: What is actually the meaning of properties for C#?

Properties perform the task of encapsulating the data in C#. You can actually hide a class field of a class by transfering information to it by using property. Properties can be easily accessed in Csharp as if they were a field. In Csharp properties perform the same function as that of setter-method and getter-method in other software-coding languages. They can get a value for a class member and can also set values for a class member.

The data of private members is always hidden from outside world. But if you want to retrieve or write data to this members by still maintaining Encapsulation you can do that by using Csharp Properties. You need to select public, private, protected, protected internal or internal accessibility for these Csharp Properties. This indicates the section of program the properties can have access to.

I was also confused about the concept of properties with Csharp. To say in simple words, Propeties for Csharp are necessary to read and write values to the private data members. The internal implementation of properties can be varied with time. These properties although can be reffered as public data members but in reality they are special methods known as accessors.