Thread: Unable to connect to Server (IIS)

Unable to connect to Server (IIS)

Just trying to see is anyone has seen this issue previously. First when I check http://localhost/ it tells me that i have IIS 7.0 installed, but when I open the IIS Manager it shows 6.0
    Anyway, here is the issue am getting. In IIS manager, each time I try to connect to the server, I get this error
    "Unable to connect to server ____, The target servver does not have FTP installed, and you cannot manage an IIS 7.0 Web server by using IIS (6.0) Manager"
    ...Am running vista and when I open windows features to enable FTP, I find that there is no FTP item under Internet Information Services.
    I would appreciate any ideas that can help to resolve this issue...thanks.

Re: Unable to connect to Server (IIS)

The IIS 6.0 MMC snap-in, IIS 6.0 Manager, is available on Windows Vista. Use IIS 6.0 Manager for remote management of IIS 6.0 Web servers or sites from an IIS 7.0 Web server. You cannot use IIS 6.0 Manager or IIS 7.0 Manager for remote administration of IIS 7.0 Web servers or sites.You must use IIS 6.0 Manager to manage FTP sites on both remote IIS 6.0 servers and Windows Vista. The IIS 7.0 MMC snap-in does not include an FTP management feature.

If you upgrade from Microsoft Windows XP to Windows Vista and you previously had the IIS 6.0 Management console installed but W3SVC was not detected during installation, IIS 7.0 setup does not install any IIS management console. Presumably, you were using this computer to remotely manage an IIS 6.0 Web server. To install the IIS 6.0 Management console, use Control Panel in Windows Vista to turn on the IIS 6.0 Management Console.

Thanks for the response...how do I go about fixing the FTP issue? Am not sure i get that...by going to windows features (vista), I do not see an option to enable the FTP features. How can I get that resolved?

First try going to Server Manager. Under the Web Server Role, select the Add/Remove Role services. Now go for Management Service. Now you can just go to the Management Service page in IIS Manager and enable Remote Connections. Or else if you still facing the same problem then I would recommend you to try uninstalling and reinstalling IIS.

Refer to following helpful threads for you:

Go to the FTP server on Windows Vista
    Can not connect to FTP server

And also see this Microsoft help guide: Setting up FTP
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. - Albert Einstein

What we think, we become (Please don't think you are a superhero and don't try to fly)

"SUCCESS IS NOT A DESTINATION , IT'S A JOURNEY"