Thread: Nikon D700 Digital Camera

Nikon D700 Digital Camera

After one month of June due to rumors, on the 1st July that formalized its Nikon D700. For the official announcement and characteristics, I refer you HERE on the official website. 2008 is synonymous with offensive Nikon, we had already seen it with the D3 and the D300, and I must say that I did not attack this year on the Nikon market for Canon EOS 5D, however, representing the D700, the answer to this fabulous but aging 5D and most importantly, it represents everything that all customers dream to have with any EOS 5D Mark II. Yes, there are still a few points on which Canon can do better as the resolution of the sensor or referred to 100%, but honestly, with the Nikon D700 offers a device that has almost everything to him and will undoubtedly meet the most demanding .

For instance, I thank Nikon lent me for a week D700 for a few tests, & it was nice. Likewise, these are only impressions of a PhotoGeek, I am not entering into details, these banners, and others, simply because others can do and much better! Moreover, even what I had in the hands were almost definitive, I would like to clarify that it was still a model of pre-series.

I would like to recall that the D700 is a Full Frame or Full Format, so it is better to use quality objectives for all sublimate. It is compatible with the format DX (crop of 1.5 x), but the image resolution increase to 5.1 Megapixels. In reality, this is to crop in your viewfinder. Indeed, specifying in your settings you use an objective DX, a rectangle appears in your viewfinder, mean that you will end up! And there you go ask what happens if you do nothing, well, we'll call it the dream in its purest. See for yourself.

For my impressions, Nikon has not bothered and it is with the fabulous Nikkor 24-70mm F2.8 that I "had to" test the D700, hard life, eh? In all cases, the couple with the D700 is not lighter and shorter, expect something like 2kg and, some small bags that I used with the Canon EOS 40D + EF-S 17-55mm F2.8 IS were no longer large enough to accommodate the D700… It's not too serious in itself but still! Otherwise, for the discovery, the D700 offers a template fairly close to the D300, differences will be located at the trap FC, the viewfinder of course, and adding an Info button.

Start with the viewfinder is that in fact the D3, it is very pleasant to use, and light and everything. The eye fits and even if it proposes that 95% field of vision rather than the 100%, it's all good, just knowing when framing. So why not propose 100% as on the D300 and D700? Simply because with the size of the box, Nikon has succeeded in placing an anti-dust on the sensor Full Frame but also a flash, which cut a little in terms of space. We find the 51 to 15 collimators which crusaders and needless to say you found any responsiveness D3 and D300.

As far as ISO, we find therefore the sensor D3 with the processor Expeed, it goes from 200 to 6400 ISO, and extended mode 100 to ISO 25600. And that's where we see the advantage of a sensor Full Frame, all photos up to ISO 6400 are fully exploited, but really there. The noise is perfectly managed and it is a happiness. As a result, no need for tripod.

The button on the door for the port of FC D300 has been replaced by an info button which is very handy since pallit in fact the absence of second monochrome screen of D3. Indeed, by pushing you not only the equivalent of the screen above but also access to the most frequently used functions and it prevents you from going through the menus.

As far as accessories, the D700 is compatible with those of D300 as the handle grip MB-D10, which offers a speed of 8 fps against 5 fps without. Well, it does not compete with the D3 but it is widely enough! The screen is the same as the D300 and is a true pleasure to use, the fineness of VGA you can zoom in on specific parts specific and more importantly, see if your photos are successful or not.

For the image, white balance it is still well down and I have noted no false notes, against, I am not ZE expert photography and I will let the future tests with banners and and while you demonstrate. Speaking of image, I find the colors Nikon colder compared to Canon. And unlike his enemy who always turns red / pink, at Nikon, indoors is a little too yellow.

For flash, I never really am not too used, troubleshoot it if you do not want to mount a ISO but nothing worth a good flash cobra.

In conclusion, today, the D700 represents what should be the successor to the Canon EOS 5D, namely a Full Frame accessible (I understand) and more homogeneous for a pro. I just put myself in place of professional photographers, have the equivalent of a D3 but with the portability of a D300 and a much lower price, it's not bad at all, is not it? There remains the question of certain Canon, switch or not? The annual conference with its new Canon is set for August 26, it is far more then wait somewhere, but it's a bit frustrating when you know that the D700 starting to arrive in stores this week… For my part, I think I'll switch, but not totally, I have Canon lenses that I did not want to sell, and waiting patiently for the successor of the EOS 5D. And do not forget, who said Full Frame said objective of high quality!

I am not aware of any cover, there are so many things to say but I'm still in my infancy in the world of Nikon. So, do not hesitate to ask your questions in comments, I will try to address them better.

And if it is compared to a D300? It should be noted that it is still a little bigger.

I have yet to read anything, but thank you to post this review.

Even if I remain faithful to Canon, it is gratifying to see that Nikon comes to push a little. It promises even more innovation in the coming months.

great! thank you! and what batteries it uses? the same as on a Coolpix 995 or 8700 by-example?