Thread: Unable to locate the deleted Hosts file back in windows 7

Unable to locate the deleted Hosts file back in windows 7

from the etc folder, i made a deletion of my "Hosts" file, and i am no able to locate in any way so that i am able to obtain it back. i made an attempt for making a text document and having a save there, but it is not able to save at that location as a File, simply a TXT. document. i doubt for the fixing of it for me. please can you specify option for the same.

Re: Unable to locate the deleted Hosts file back in windows 7

if you have deleted those files and i think to have an reset of all those Hosts file back to the default automatically, you should perform click the Fix it button or link provided,and then afterward, in the File Download dialog box, have a click on Run and follow the steps accordingly in the Fix it wizard. if you are unable to save this file on your own computer, you can try by saving on external device or on CD, or flash drive or making use of USB

if you wish for performing this by your own, you can try for, follow these steps:

1. on your Start menu, click Run, and then type %systemroot% \system32\drivers\etc, after this press OK.
    2. try by Renaming the Hosts file to Hosts.old.
    3. Create a new default hosts file. for having this to be done, follow these steps:
    4. Right-click an open space in the %WinDir%\System32\Drivers\Etc folder, point to New, and later click Text Document, here you should type hosts, and click Enter afterward.
    5. Click Yes for making a confirmation that the extension of the file name will not be .txt.
    6. by Opening the new Hosts file in a text editor.eg, try by opening the file in Notepad.
    have a Copy of the file as follows :

Windows 7

Code:
    # Copyright (c) 1993-2006 Microsoft Corp.
    #
    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
    #
    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
    # space.
    #
    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
    #
    # For example:
    #
    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handle within DNS itself.
    #       127.0.0.1       localhost
    #       ::1             localhost

if you are insisting on updation of windows hosts 7. to do this perform,

• Simply locate the "hosts.zip" file which you had a download of, and i suppose it should be situated in your "User" Download folder by default .
    • make an Highlighting of the file, you can perform this by single-clicking, following to a right-click and choose Extract All from the menu.
    • ensure of the fact of having a check in the option available which displays "Show extracted files when complete"
    • right-click the installer "mvps.bat" choose: Run as Administrator. after doing this the UAC prompt in addition with the batch file will run . they will backup the subsisting HOSTS file (HOSTS.MVP)and following this make a copy to the updated HOSTS file to the selected location. You should be able to see a prompt (press any key) which denotes the completion. and you will be done with it.

A Txt document is a file, so it is but obvious you can create and save a file.if the issue is that the file is being saved as a Hosts.txt and not like just Host. If this is the case, you could simply rename it so that you can have a removal of the .txt extension. To avoid it with in the Save / Save As dialog in the notepad, place the file name in quotes ("Hosts") . it wil be able to suppress Notepads use of the .txt extension.

ok, i made a complete deletion of the "hosts" file off my computer. at this time whenever i make a try for making a new hosts file, it saves similar to that of a TXT kind and not like a file type. i have a doubt whether it will work same or differently. i suppose if they can, then i don't have any issue regarding it, but i suppose there will be some or the differentiation.

i think there will be no problem if you save it as HOSTS.txt, then right click and from the end of the file name, choose 'Rename' and remove the .txt. the file will have a naming of HOSTS after this.

some people have the doubt in the mind for the extension of the file. and i want to say that it will not work with the .txt extension. but Its very easy problem that can be resolved.

the work of the host file is to pair yourself against being served by means of a Name server, when some enters host name with IP Address. on the start menu, choose search for “Notepad. after this, right-press plus select “Run as Administrator'. notepad will be appearing with rights reserved.Move to the File menu< host file , edit and save.