Thread: Increase the Windows Partition without reinstall or format

Increase the Windows Partition without reinstall or format

Hello to all

I have an hard drive of 80 GB, partitioned in 2 (C: /and D: /). I would like removed this division, so that it should with no more two partitions, therefore of C:/ and D:/ I want only C: /. I don't want to reinstall windows. Is there anyway to do?

thank you

Re: Increase the Windows Partition without reinstall or format

Hello,

Simplest is to use a software as partition magic, which will allow you this to remove your second partition and re-dimension the first one.

You should use gparted live Cd which allows you to do that it seems to me. it is free. the official site is here http://gparted.sourceforge.net/

As you have found, there are many different ways to do it.

One of the nicest things to have around is the self-booting gparted cd. You can download the iso and burn it. This will let you resize or delete ntfs partitions, and do many other things. The only codicil is that before you use the software to resize the windows partition (in the case of a system you wish to continue to use,) set the chkdsk program to scan the disk before shutting down--then boot the gparted CD and resize the disk. When you boot windows, it will correct the NTFS before running windows. It is a real good idea to do this trick when doing any resizing of a partition regardless of the program that you use to do it.

gparted is not the same as "gpart"--a program that will guess the partitions if your partition table gets thrashed somehow (another nice program to have about; it is found on R.I.P and knoppix.) "gpart" is one of the programs which make it necessary to low-level format a hard drive to prevent someone from hacking information out of a "clean" hard drive.

goback Guest

In fact you can use merge function of partition magic to do this, but I just tell there is one way, I do not recommend merging partition directly. I have a friend, also used PM to merge, but the result is that one partition lost. I do not want to others encounter the same problem. The best way is copying files from D to C, delete D, expand C, done, it is safer. there are many tools, such as partition master.
    Last edited by Yashk; 27-08-2009 at 09:18 PM. Reason: External link removed