Go Back   TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Old 28-02-2009

Missing windows\system32\config\system File

Hello Friends,

I have downloaded some files from the internet, and my computer started lagging so I went for searching some help there I got suggestions to check for the system files available at windows\system32\config\system File this location, but when I checked for the same location, the file was missing what would be the problem, please help...

Thanks in Advance.
Old 28-02-2009

Re: Missing windows\system32\config\system File

Boot from Windows XP CD then when it asks press R to enter recovery consol now there run SFC /scannow

it will ask for the Windows Installation source, therefore keep the installation CD in hand and will scan the system to replace the missing files !!
Old 28-02-2009

Else I have tried your option but i could not reach to an desired result, No it didn't ask me for the User Input 'R',therefor when I inserted an XP cd I manually started withe the Repair option.
It would be more help if you suggest the step. please help I am in very much need.

Otherwise thanks for suggestion.
Old 28-02-2009

Don't worry,Try to 1st boot in to XP CD then go to Command interface... at there, try running these 2 commands, chkdsk x: /f x is the drive where you have windows xp and also run for the c drive if you have windows xp some where else... then run the SFC /Scannow to search for missing files...

now, if these 2 doesn't work, you don't have any other option rather reinstalling (note not clean/fresh install), when you reinstall all the applications you have installed and many of your settings stays intact, only the Windows and Documents and Settings folder gets re-written...
Old 28-02-2009

I've gotten this error so many times on my computer that it's become a fairly mechanical fix for me. I make a System Restore point every time my computer starts up correctly, and save a copy of the registry items to a temp folder under my Windows directory. Then, if my computer blue screens, I restart with the CD and go to recovery console, then copy my saved registry item to Windows\System32\Config\<registry file>.

The two files most commonly corrupted on my computer are Software and System. The good thing is that only the corrupted file needs to be replaced, not all of them as given in the Microsoft databases.

TechArena Community > Software > Operating Systems
Tags: , , , ,