Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Re: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

This information shows you how to help lower security settings or how to turn off security features on a computer. You can make these changes to work around a specific problem.when you install a program on your Windows XP-based computer, you may receive an error message that is similar to the following:
    Error 1606. Could not access network location <Common Administrative Tools>.All users\.

check here to solve http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315352

sad Re: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Quote Originally Posted by Calvin K View Post
    To resolve this behavior, follow these steps.
    • Click Start, and then click Run.
    • In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    • Locate and then click the following registry key:
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
    • In the right pane of Registry Editor, double-click Common Administrative Tools.
    • In the Value data box , type the following line, and then click OK:
    • %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Administrative Tools
    • On the File menu, click Exit to quit Registry Editor.
    • Restart the computer.
    I dont have anything that says "Common Administrative Tools"
    grrr i have messed up kinda bad heh...

Since you've received 1606 error, there is a high possibility that your computer is associated with registry problems. To solve this error, you need to follow the steps below:

1 : Download and install this error repair tool - Perfect Optimizer.
    2 : Click the Repair All Button. This will perform free scan of your computer.
    3 : Then click the Repair All Button again..

That's it ..!!

angry Re: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

excuse my french but i cant ****in download anything without appdata!!!!.....
    what am i to do?????

This problem occurs because the following registry entry is not removed from the registry when you upgrade the Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition operating system:

HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools

To resolve this problem, delete the following key from the registry.
    HKEY_Local_Machine\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Common Administrative Tools
    To delete the registry key, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open text box, type Regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer.
    4. Under HKEY_Local_Machine, locate the following registry key:
    5. Right-click the Common Administrative Tools key, and then click Delete.
    6. Click Yes to delete the key.

Hope this help you !

Check this --
    When UAC is enabled, IE7 is running under Protected Mode and can only write to low integrity objects. The Temp folder has incorrect integrity level settings. Perform the following steps to get rid of the issue.

Run command to reset low integrity level on the temp/low folder

• Go to Start -- All programs Accessories.
    • Right-click Command Prompt --- click Run as administrator.
    • In Administrator: Command Prompt window, copy - paste the following without quotes :
      "ICACLS "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Temp\Low" /setintegritylevel (OI)(CI)low"
    • Press Enter.

Restart the computer and check

1. If any Name, Type, or Value does not match the table, right-click the Value name, and then click Delete.
    2. In the left pane, right-click User Shell Folders, point to New, click Expandable String Value, type the Name value that you want from the table, and then press ENTER.
    3. Right-click on the new value that you created above, click Modify, type the value in the Value data box for the Value name, and then click OK.

Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Yes if you want you can delete this file but before doing this make sure you have backup of the same because it might happen deleting that file might face some issue when you have deleted it and you need to reinstall your Operating system if your have backup of your registry key then you can restore it back again.

smile Re: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Hi Nihir, You are a star, you have fixed a problem I have been trying to solve for a week now. Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihir View Post
    The response to "Echo %appadata%" should be

C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming

A space in the user name shouldn't be a problem, but creating a new user may fix the problem because it will create the account with default registry settings which will hopefully have the missing %appdata% information.

If you want to check on this before creating the new user, just for curiosity's sake, check the following Registry key:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders and check the value for AppData in the right hand pane. If it's missing, then that would explain the problem. It should be as listed above, substituting the UserName with the folder name for the user under Users.

Also check the key
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

The value of this key should be
    %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming

More keys to check:
    HKCU\Volatile Environement (1)
    HKU\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (2)
    HKU\Sxxxxx\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders (2)
    HKU\Sxxxxx\Volatile Environement (1)

The values in (1) should have the full path spelled out, the values in (2) should use the %USERPROFILE% variable in the path. If the value under HKU\.DEFAULT is missing or bad, then creating a new user probably won't work either. If that value is missing, then I would recommend a clean reinstall of Windows because there is no telling what else is messed up also.

Re: error 1606. could not access network location %APPDATA%\.

Alright for some a simple copy and pasting of the correct registry values may work but for others (myself included) this was of absolutely NO HELP. I was trying to install windows office and an autocad program and kept getting this stupid ERROR so heres what i did, OBVIOUSLY this is a registry issue so we need something that can fix the registry. Now just because this worked for me and i dont know what your situation is but this might help you too. So first i googled what was the absolute BEST registry optimizer for windows. then i was carried to a website where there were ranked by most favorite. at the top of the list was "Advanced System Optimizer" now how you go about getting it is up to you but i just used bit torrent and got the torrent location by once again using Google magic baby. just google "Advanced System Optimizer torrent" i always use either torrent reactor or Pirate bay So anyways i installed it (i just installed the trial version btw) and it worked miracles. I shit you not this thing found not one or two but 137 problems. THATS RIDICULOUS! anyways just try it hell you dont have to keep the program just install it fix your probs then uninstall. Good luck

Alright for some a simple copy and pasting of the correct registry values may work but for others (myself included) this was of absolutely NO HELP. I was trying to install windows office and an autocad program and kept getting this stupid ERROR so heres what i did, OBVIOUSLY this is a registry issue so we need something that can fix the registry. Now just because this worked for me and i dont know what your situation is but this might help you too. So first i googled what was the absolute BEST registry optimizer for windows. then i was carried to a website where there were ranked by most favorite. at the top of the list was "Advanced System Optimizer" now how you go about getting it is up to you but i just used bit torrent and got the torrent location by once again using Google magic baby. just google "Advanced System Optimizer torrent" i always use either torrent reactor or Pirate bay So anyways i installed it (i just installed the trial version btw) and it worked miracles. I shit you not this thing found not one or two but 137 problems. THATS RIDICULOUS! anyways just try it hell you dont have to keep the program just install it fix your probs then uninstall. Good luck

Re: error 1606. could not access network location %APPDATA%\.

I am not a technical man in operating system. Where am I supposed to bring my computer having error 1606 because it blocks the installation of Microsoft Windows Office Home and Student 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by qvultaggio View Post
    I cannot install anything.I used to then all of a sudden I can't, I get this error 1606 could not access network location %APPDATA% I bought a new printer scanner and now I cannot install the software becasue I get this messege.I turned off my anti virus that didn't work.I turned off my firewall that didn't work.Ican't even install vista sp 2 it won't let me! How do i fix this ?It is driving me nuts ?Why all of a sudden did this start happeneing. I can't use the optimizing program ,how can i ?I can't install anything. Please help .I don't even remember how to get to the registry.If someone can give me step by step details how to fix this I will be forever grateful.Right now I have a brand ne w printer scanner and can't do anything with it! Thanks

idea Re: Error 1606: Could not access network location %APPDATA%\

Quote Originally Posted by patricia42256 View Post
    I cannot install anything.I used to then all of a sudden I can't, I get this error 1606 could not access network location %APPDATA% I bought a new printer scanner and now I cannot install the software becasue I get this messege.I turned off my anti virus that didn't work.I turned off my firewall that didn't work.Ican't even install vista sp 2 it won't let me! How do i fix this ?It is driving me nuts ?Why all of a sudden did this start happeneing. I can't use the optimizing program ,how can i ?I can't install anything. Please help .I don't even remember how to get to the registry.If someone can give me step by step details how to fix this I will be forever grateful.Right now I have a brand ne w printer scanner and can't do anything with it! Thanks

try following these sir:

click on the link below then if your running vista click the start button, type regedit.exe

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

check if the following things below are completely the same, if not, right click the line that is different from the other then click modify, copy paste the value at the website, usually the error is at the appdata.. it should be easy, all we need is just a bit of patience and more of reading

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/886549

=======================================================
    read read and read,, dont be lazy, just read follow and there goes your solution

Thank you but I have already followed this solution and it worked perfect.Problem solved .I have had this problem for a while now am glad I found the fix here.Hope everyone else can too. I wouldlike to know the why of it. What cauised this problem does anyone know if it was a trojan or something? Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast