Thread: how do i in vista

unsure how do i in vista

ok ummm im wondows XP whenever i am at the login screen i cud have press CTRL + ALT + DEL and got that little dialog box and i typed administrator and pressed enter to login as administrator and i cud do anything i cud remover passwords from locked user accounts but with vista whener i press that combination of keys nothing happens other than to reset pasword but then i wud have to have a password reset tool installed on a flash drive or other removable so if some1 cud plz tell me how to do it with vista it wud be a gr8 help ty ty ty

Re: how do i in vista

This option does exist, but has been hidden by default.

Why has the Administrator account been disabled in Vista?

As the Administrator account gives total access to your computer system, this security measure has been planned by Microsoft to prevent any incident from jeopardizing the stability and security of your system. Consequently, enabling this account is highly discouraged for your computer’s security. I would strongly suggest you to avoid this, except if you are undergoing a troubleshooting process that requires the Administrator account’s assistance.

Also, note that Vista Beta 2 users should NOT attempt this procedure particularly if you want to password protect the Administrator account. A bug residing in the operating system could seriously disrupt your computer’s stability.

How to activate the Administrator Account
    Through User Account Control
    1. Go to your Start menu and right-click on the “My Computer” icon.
    2. Choosing “Manage” from the list will prompt a User Account Control (UAC).
    3. When you are done, the “Computer Management console” will appear. Expand the “Local Users and Groups” option with the use of the arrow next to it and choose “Users” folder.
    4. You can now select the “Administrator Account” and go to the “Actions” panel to open “More Actions”.
    5. Choose “Properties” to open the “Administrator Properties” dialog box and uncheck the option labeled “Account is Disabled”.
    6. When done, click “OK” to confirm changes.
    7. The Administrator account should now be present on your log in screen.

here is the way you can enable hidden administrator account in vista With Command Prompt

• Go to your Start menu and in “Accessories” list, open “Command Prompt” by right-clicking on its icon and choosing “Run as Administrator”
    • When the Command Prompt window appears, enter the command “net user administrator /active:yes”
    • When done, log out from your current account.
    • The Administrator account should now be present on your log in screen.

I have done it with Safe Mode. Its easy you just follow the following steps

1. You must restart your computer system to be able to boot in “Safe Mode”.
    2. When the “Windows” screen appears, press the F8 key.
    3. From the list, go to the option “Microsoft Windows” by using your keyboard arrows.
    4. Instead of pressing the “Enter” key, press the F8 key again to display the Safe Mode boot screen.
    5. Choose “Safe Mode” from the list and press the “Enter” key.
    6. You will hence be taken to the log in screen that will display the Administrator account icon among your other current account/s.

This registry key does the trick:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Find the value named 'DontDisplayLastUserName' and set it to 1 (If you don't see it, then create a new DWORD item with this value)