Thread: Problem connecting to wifi with my Acer netbook

Problem connecting to wifi with my Acer netbook

I used to be able to connect through Wifi easily on my Acer Aspire One ZG5, but during my last trip, I started having problems connecting to networks. I can connect to my home Wifi network fine, but when I try to connect to another network (either in a cafe, in a shopping center or at a friend's house), I either get an "inexistant connection" message,or the "connecting" window takes forever and eventually just disappears without connecting giving me any warning, or when I manage to connect to the network, I can't browse or actually use the connection.

I've tried doing a recovery reinstall, but it didn't fix anything. I'm running Windows XP.

Thank you for your advice!

Re: Problem connecting to wifi with my Acer netbook

Hi friend, as i can see this is your very first post, Welcome to Techarena. Now, while searching for your solution, here is what i got: Acer Aspire One ZG5 unable to connect internet via Wireless

The article has some troubleshooting steps, hope it will help you. Just go through it

Hi!

I already tried these steps and it didn't work. Plus, if I am in a public place, as a shopping center or a cafe, I can't really try to plug with an ethernet cable...

The basic setup for any laptop to work is

wall > isp modem/router > your wireless router > wired/wireless

The wireless router basically needs a setup and it is done with an ethernet cable. So whenever you plug into the wireless router with the ethernet cable, setup can begin then and you can log in to your router, instructions came with your router. Give the router the name you want to. All wireless routers come shipped with outdated firmware. Please check the manufacturers website for an update in the firmware. After that you just need to keep the SSID broadcasting Use WPA-Personal (WPA2-if possible) and offer it a passkey(password) that is a combination of letters and numbers. Next is to remember to save your settings and then exit. Unplug the computer from the router and restart your computer. You should now have WPA Security enabled and will NOT have problems with being disconnected.

Thank you, but what will I do when I will be a in a public place? I don't have any access to a router then! Every thing works fine at home with my router... But when I came to connect to a hostel or hotel wifi or at the shopping mall, I just couldn't. The connecting window took dissapeared without giving me a waring about what happened and I was never connected, even though the little graph is telling me that the signal is excellent or very good...

I have the same computer and problems as you. I installed a new router a few days ago and I can't connect to the internet anymore on this computer. However, all my other computers work fine. There must be some problems on the computer setting but I just don't know how to correct it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3hands View Post
    I have the same computer and problems as you. I installed a new router a few days ago and I can't connect to the internet anymore on this computer. However, all my other computers work fine. There must be some problems on the computer setting but I just don't know how to correct it.
    Which operating system have you installed in your pc? Have you installed the proper wireless drivers for you netbook? What is the make or model of the router? Have you tried to turn the network adapter power save mode to off and check if the problem gets resolved, just follow the below steps:
    • click "Start"
    • click "Control Panel"
    • click "Classic View"
    • doubleclick "System"
    • select "Hardware" tab
    • click "Device Manager" button
    • click "+" to left of "network adapters"
    • doubleclick "Atheros AR5007EG ...."
    • click "Advanced" tab
    • select "Power Save Mode"
    • select "off"
    • select "OK"

I am using XP and I tried this before. However, it doesn't seem to be working
    Most importantly, the power save mode is off before I modified it.

Quote Originally Posted by 3hands View Post
    I am using XP and I tried this before. However, it doesn't seem to be working
    Most importantly, the power save mode is off before I modified it.
    Have you tried to reset your router and also tried to do a "repair this connection" and restarted? Is there a physical switch or a key combination (Fn-F2 on Dells, for example) that toggles the radio function? Can you see the wireless network? Have you tried re-installing the driver? While a hardware failure is possible, it's almost always a driver issue.