Thread: Computer (WIN XP) network keeps breaking

Computer (WIN XP) network keeps breaking

Hello Guys,

I administer a network of at least 40 windows XP computers. However, Lately Iv got this computer that will be on the network for some time and after it will go off.

The funny bit is that it will only know off a few connections and accept some i.e. when i ping it from some workstations, XP & WINDOWS 7 they wil return replies ans some very few will returen request timed out.

My trouble shooting included checking out in detail which switch each of these computers are connected to so as to determin if its a particular switch that has the defect. For purposes of understanding i will categorize the machines that return replies as Success and those that don't as failure

It so Happened that the switch that connected the these PCs did not matter as success would be on the same switch as failure

The Victime computer itself can sucessfully ping some and fail on others however other do ping each other n some can ping the victim PC while others cant (sounds funny huh!)

I checked physical connections, checked n disabled firewalls checked the necessary services i.e ICS and all is fine. But at times when i restart the two pcc ie. the victim pc and anyother that has failed t connect to it, the connection picks up and I get replies at ping.

Please I need help

Thanks

Re: Computer (WIN XP) network keeps breaking

First of all please let me know what is the operating system on the Computer that is causing you the trouble there? You just missed on mentioned the same. And in addition to this I would like you to navigate to some of the threads that have similar issue like you have mentioned above. Please have a look at it. Computers on network can't connect, unable to connect new laptop with windows 7 to XP network, Unable to add a XP computer on Windows 7 home group. Hope that you will have the issue of yours solved from the solutions that these threads have.

Thanks I will have a look at the posts right away. Meanwhile the OS on the computer is Windows XP sp2

OK, you can try this. Just go to Start > Control Panel > Network Connections and from there right click on the connection and select properties. This will open the property box and from the Properties dialog check for the Internet Protocol or IPv4 or anything like this and select properties. See that if it says "Use the following IP address" or "Obtain an IP address automatically"? Copy down the IP addresses, subnets, gateway, etc there.

Thanks every one for the contribution I seem to have discovered the problem. I am using KAV 6 and it seems to be bloking the network connections to this machine intermittently. When I uninstalled it the problem never occured again but I installet Super anti spyware and also seemed to block since the issue came back. I uninstalled it and the system was fine again. Now it looks like I have to find the solution for being able to have an anti virus running on the system without blocking TCP IP connection. The funny thing is is blocks a few LAN connection but the internet and networks on other subnets are up and running