Thread: Deleting remote open file (*.mdb)

Deleting remote open file (*.mdb)

Hello,

I am using an application programmed in Access (creating schedules). Other people in the network have a kind of "emulator" to view these schedules, and I make regular updates to files.

My problem:
    During a consultation with a remote person, a .Mdb opens. And for me to update files, I have to erase everything (in a folder) and copy my own files. But I find myself with the message (Windows) as what the file is already open and I can not erase. FYI, I am not a network administrator.

- Environment: Windows 2000 Professional
    - Mdb files created in Access 97

My expectation: Is there a way or solution for:
    - Or force them to remotely delete this file?
    - Either disconnect remote (but I can not know the number of PCs that opened the file) all persons who have opened the application before I upgrade?

My only solution now is to call my director (when I have to!) So that the user disconnects.

Is there not a possibility to disconnect the target directory before copying the files using net.exe?

Thank you for your possible answers.

Re: Deleting remote open file (*.mdb)

Hello,

If an Access file is opened, it must be near a '.Ldb'. This file is readable with notepad and contains the names of machines that open the MDB file.

If you mastering the code, you can put in place a system which periodically scans the directory looking for a file. And if this file is present, it automatically closes the database.

Hello,

Yes indeed, automatically .Ldb file is created at the beginning and I can actually find the pc just to connect. But I do not have sufficient rights to deny access to the remote directory.

Any more suggestions?

But I may have found the solution. I found a utility (Rmtshare.exe) that works with switches from net share but with the difference in contrast to the latter, change the permissions on the network. I'll try that and see if the application in question can be launched from a PC that is not an administrator of the system, it would take the baton of my order. I will post if this issue is resolved.

Try to rename. You should also consider how and WScript.Network obtain the network user names of people who have the database open. Also, create a blank database with a single form which states "This database is currently unavailable "and a button to exit the database. Instead of giving everyone access to the database, hiding in a subfolder and give them a shortcut instead.