Thread: How do I Replace a Powerbook PRAM battery?

How do I Replace a Powerbook PRAM battery?

Let me tell you that I am not good with the hardware parts of the PowerBook. Also I don't like to do some R and D with the PowerBook (since the cost matters ). Now my friend told me that I am getting some issues because of the expired PRAM battery which is located in PowerBook. Now I want to change it, but the process for changing neither he knows nor me. So thought that you guys can provide some help by giving some useful information about changing PRAM battery of a PowerBook.

Re: How do I Replace a Powerbook PRAM battery?

The following steps would be useful for Resetting PRAM :
    1. You should start by shutting down the computer.
    2. Then locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P and R. You will have to hold these keys down concurrently in the fourth step.
    3. Turn on the computer.
    4. Press and hold down the key combo Command-Option-PR. You press it before the gray screen appears.
    5. Hold down these keys until the computer restarts and you hear two beeps start.
    6. Release the keys.

The PRAM of the computer is restored to the defaults. It is possible that the clock settings are restored to the default date on some models.

I have tried to explain you in detail with the help of figures which will make you easy to understand. The below instructions will be useful for replacing a Powerbook PRAM battery.

• Use a curve to turn the battery locking screw 90 degrees clockwise.
    • Raise the battery out of the computer.

Then you will have to remove the screws that are described as follows :
    • Two 3 mm Phillips in the battery cubicle, it moreover side of the battery contacts.
    • Four 3 mm Phillips approximately the memory cubicle.
    • Four 16 mm Phillips Along the hinge.

• Eradicate the memory cubicle cover.
    • Remove The Two 12mm Phillips screws on the bracket at the Aluminum pinnacle of the memory compartment.
    Last edited by Willard21; 13-06-2010 at 03:04 AM.

If you arrive to start the Mac, but the date and time does not stand to date (warning at startup), you must replace the PRAM battery (NV-PRAM). Some batteries are extremely simple to change, while others are proving tough (especially on laptops). An old battery or too low can prevent a system from starting or cause bizarre behavior. The laptops are mainly affected by this phenomenon. Then you will have to force a battery charge. Connect the Mac to a power source and charge for half an hour. Often this is enough to give a minimum sufficient to start the Mac. In case of failure after a half-hour charge, you can leave for 12 hours, then try booting again. The other trick is to turn off and relight the Mac several times in a row a few seconds apart. The ignition causes a power surge that can wake a sleeping Mac.

Sometimes, an old Mac will start, but it will not happen to engage the hard disk. Otherwise, the drive will attempt to start, but will emit squeaks and other grunts. The probable cause of this problem is the lubricating oil contained within the disk, which must be dried. To loosen the hard, sometimes just turning on the Mac several times, but wait a few minutes between attempts, and especially do not push it too long if you feel that it gets stuck. A few seconds is enough to observe if the disc is engaged. If you know how to disassemble the hard drive, the universal method to try to regain use is to place it in the freezer for 20 minutes. This may seem surprising, but it's the first thing a computer repairman will do in the case of a hard disk that does not want to know.

No need to remove much, just unplug the power, remove the cover to access the logic board and then replace the battery. You can measure it. It must provide between 3.3 and 3.7 volts. If given less is that it is worn. Remove the battery, wait 10 minutes and put the new, respecting the polarity. Then do not forget to reset the PMU by pressing the button.