Thread: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 in Ubuntu 9.10

Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 in Ubuntu 9.10

I am having a webcam of Logitech QuickCam pro 9000 for business and I have some concerns with. When I do "lsusb", I have this :
    Code:
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 046d: 0990 Logitech, Inc.. QuickCam Pro 9000 
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b: 0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub 
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b: 0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Before everything was OK, I have / dev/video0 exists when the camera is connected (and the rep is gone when it is disconnected). But when I launch VLC, nothing appears, same with cheese and luvcview. Is there something data specific to install?? Please help me.!!

Re: Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000 in Ubuntu 9.10

There are some incompatibilities with some hardware versions. Regrettably the Third Generation (BCD 0x0008) of the programmed cameras with launch of new some new incompatibilities many host controllers on Linux. The camera may hang when continually starting a video stream. Some boxes in the camera are able to convalesce and simply trying again may help. However, in some boxes needs to be the camera and unplugged the device to re-plug for work again. The fourth generation will not be affected by this problem, since it contains updated hardware and firmware that address this issue.

The Easiest way to connect the camera IS and look at the USB BCD, ie the device revision. In the Linux lsusb command can Be Used as Follows :
    lsusb-d 046d: 0990-v | grep bcdDevice
    This Will print a number like 0.05, WHICH IS equivalent to 0x0005. In the Windows device manager can Be Used, similar to the way described "in the 'How do I find the vendor and product ID of my camera? " FAQ. In the Details tab choose Hardware Ids. You should "see a string like" USB \ & PID_0990 & REV_0005 VID_046D. The number after "REV_" Is the device revision.

The 8-level product number can also to be used determined which version of the device with the aim you have FOLLOWING limitation: As you can see from the table, not every new model launch of new 8-level product numbers. Minor firmware updates go usually without new product numbers. While the boxes do have their own product numbers, giving further do not change if the model is Updated. Therefore generally it is not to tell which particular model it contains.

First and second generation Logitech webcams endure from firmware bug: Which make the camera somehow unbalanced. As the following is related timing, the precise impact of the bug has been fastidious user cannot be predicted. If you plan to buy a Logitech webcam, consider getting one of the models not Engagements by the bug. More in sequence about the outcome, including possible workarounds, are available on the QuickCam Team website.

Creative Labs unconfined at least Two Different devices under the Live! Cam Video IM Pro model name. While the one scheduled in this table is UVC compatible, the other (s) Might not be. If in uncertainty, Check the webcam USB product ID. If you are a developer, or if you're engrossed in tracking the Linux UVC driver, perhaps you want to get a local copy of the source code repository. You should get yourself proverbial with and clone the GIT repository uvc video. To help save bandwidth, please pursue the instructions thesis :
    Code:
     git clone git: / / git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git uvcvideo
     cd uvcvideo
     git remote add uvcvideo git: / / linuxtv.org / pinchartl / uvcvideo.git
     git remote update
     git checkout-b master-uvcvideo uvcvideo / uvcvideo

The USB Device Class Definition for Video Devices, or USB Video Class, defines video streaming Functionality is the Universal Serial Bus. A large amount like nearly all mass storage devices (USB flash disks, external SATA disk enclosures, ...) can be managed by a lone driver because they conform to the USB Mass Storage requirement, UVC biddable peripherals only need a generic driver. The UVC requirement covers webcams, digital camcorders, analog video converters, analog and digital TV tuners, and still-image cameras that support for video streaming video input and output mutually. Due to the partial available man power and the Broad scope of the UVC specification, the Linux UVC project will contemplate the development efforts on video input devices, particularly webcams. Supported video output devices are in bulk mode only.