Thread: What Power Supply to use.??

What Power Supply to use.??

I am having Sony Vaio VGC-RA820G desktop machine. I have recently configured the graphic card, since I wanted to play the advanced games. But the graphic card was not detected. When I asked a friend he said that I would have to upgrade my Power Supply Unit. I don't have much information about the PSU. Can someone help me out for selecting the appropriate PSU.??
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do". - Voltaire

Re: What Power Supply to use.??

You should know some things before selecting a Power Supply :

1. Exactly how much power you need? Is there any device that consumes a lot of power, especially video card. A plain machine may run with 350W, but a gaming machine will probably need at least 450-500W.

2. Many times it happens that PSU and the motherboard are not compatible. So make sure that your PSU is compatible with your mother board.

3. Also make sure it has enough capacity to run all of the devices you plan to power with it. Otherwise it will be of no use.

4. Be sure to get the most efficient power supply you can afford. One with greater then 80% efficiency. This will save you on your power bill and your power supply will produce less heat.

Hope this can make you to select the PSU easily.

You can try the Thermaltake Purepower W0100RU 500W ATX 12V 2.0 Power Supply. Which is having the 500W. And any video card can get the enough power supply from this PSU.
    The main features of this PSU are Powerful, quiet, lots of connectors, nice cable organization, big fan helps to cool inside the case. So your PSU will not produce too much heat. You can also easily fold your wires later and tie it up nicely. Hope this is the best you are looking for.!!

If you looking for less power (400 W) I would like to suggest you to go for
    FSP Group SAGA+ 400R 400W ATX12V Power Supply. I am having this and there is no problem for my video card. I can play the modern games also. According to me this is a great choice for upgrading an older system if you want to keep your old case. The greater than 70% efficiency and 1W standby mode will help save you money on your electric bills. The back of the housing is a hexagonal mesh to maximize airflow from the 120mm fan, so no heat issues. The large openwork will also minimize air noise caused by the fan. It comes with the standard connectors, power, CPU, floppy and Molex. It also has 2 SATA connections so you can use today's high speed drives. This was the option that I am using without any issue, You decide for your's.

Here is another option for you, there is also
    CORSAIR CMPSU-450VX 450W ATX12V V2.2 80 the power supply. This PSU is Certified 80 Plus, its unit runs at up to 85% efficiency and 99% Active Power Factor. The PSU comes with extra long cables for use in full tower cases, making it easier to route cables neatly so they don’t interfere with air flow. All the cables are mesh wrapped for a clean appearance and reduced air resistance so your cooling fans work better.

You have got many options for your PSU. I would like to suggest you to check the basic things that are needed to know before taking PSU as mentioned by Maxforu. Since there will be no use if you take the PSU which might not be compatible with your mother board. So check all the necessary things before upgrading your PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by RoninBlade View Post
    You have got many options for your PSU. I would like to suggest you to check the basic things that are needed to know before taking PSU as mentioned by Maxforu. Since there will be no use if you take the PSU which might not be compatible with your mother board. So check all the necessary things before upgrading your PSU.
    I will recommend you FSP power supply which I have been using for 5 years..
    There's no problem at all till now...I am really satisfied with this POWER..

ThumbsUp Re: What Power Supply to use.??

Quote Originally Posted by UPS View Post
    I will recommend you FSP power supply which I have been using for 5 years..
    There's no problem at all till now...I am really satisfied with this POWER..
    How can I get FSP Power Supply in Mumbai? My friend's HCL PC is also using their power supply. I think it should be stable.