Thread: Problems with Emachine D2346

Problems with Emachine D2346

Hello friends, My dad recently gifted me with Emachine D2346 computer. It was working fine for few days but now it does not start up at all. When the Power button is pressed the computer does not boot nor does it beeps. All the fans including the processor fan start spinning and then stop. Hard disk also starts spinning and then suddenly stops. I tried to start the system many times but failed. Is this because of the Hard drive failure? Is there any fault in my motherboard? I dont use any surge protector so is there any possibility of developing some faults because of it? Please help.

Re: Problems with Emachine D2346

You should always use surge protector while connecting the computer to a power source. The power line we use is very unstable which creates problems in many electrical appliances. The appliances like refrigerator and mixer grinder produces sudden power surges which are very unhealthy for a computer. As you dont use any surge protection while connecting the computer to the main supply, it is possible that the computer must have developed some fault due to power surge. Get your computer checked by a technician to know exactly what the problem is.

System memory or RAM is the most volatile device which is there in a computer. RAM consist of number of chips which go bad even if there is a small static discharge around it. A power surge can not only damage the internal components of the motherboard but also can make the RAM chips go bad. If you are using multiple RAM chips then try to boot the system by keeping one RAM chip at a time. If the system does not boot with all the RAM chips then you will have to replace the RAM Chips with new ones.

By looking at the problem it seems to be a PSU failure. Power supply unit comes with an Surge protection circuit to protect it against sudden changes in the line voltage. Mostly there is fuse which burns out when there is sudden rise in the voltage. Open the Cabinet, Locate the PSU i.e SMPS and open it. Now locate the Fuse and get it replaced with a same rating fuse. Once the fuse is replaced, put the PSU back in the cabinet and make the necessary connection. Now try and boot the computer, if it works then well and good but if it does not work then replacing the PSU solve the issue.

Check the motherboard if it is working properly. A power surge can definitely cause damage to a working motherboard. To see if the motherboard is working properly or not, open the cabinet. Now just switch on the power supply and not the computer. Locate a LED on the motherboard. If the LED is green, the power is good and the motherboard is working fine. If the LED is of Amber colour then there is some problem in the power received by the motherboard and hence it is not working fine. Replacing the Power unit or motherboard will solve the problem.

I think the hard drive is not working properly in your case. Memory devices of the computer are more prone to electrical damages caused by a power surge. Hard disk being a storage device uses magnetic methods save data. The moment of the Platter and the movable head both are controlled by an external drive circuit. This drive circuit consist of an IC which works on 5volts. If there is sudden change in the voltage, the IC becomes useless which makes the hard drive inaccessible to the system. If the hard drive is inaccessible the computer will not be able to boot from it and will never start. Try booting the computer with a Bootable disk and if it works then replace the hard disk. Remember to use a surge protector while connecting the computer to mains to avoid same problems in future.