Thread: corrupted hard drive

corrupted hard drive

Hi,
    I am using Compaq computer from last two year but it doesn't give any error but recently when I tried to save some files on my hard drive,the message is appeared stating that your hard drive is corrupted.I can not even able to access it through ms-dos.I remove the hard drive from my computer and put it into another computer and when I tried to open from it keeps saying that the hard drive has not been formatted.Do you want to format it ..Press Yes or No.As I have some important data on that drive I press No. Now I don't know how this happened and how to recover data .
    Please if you have any problem help me out.

Re: corrupted hard drive

It seems as very little problem.I also had the same problem and I solve it .As you don't want to format your hard drive you can do following thing that I have already done.you need to run "chkdsk /f" from the command line.This command simply chech your hard drive for any error.
    Click on START -> Click on Run ->type "cmd" press ENTER key.
    In the command prompt type E: or whichever your drive you want to check
    then type "chkdsk /f"
    After completing this process you still have problem then your hard drive suffered from serious problem.

As per your problem it seems that you have to format that hard drive.Don't worry about your important data on that hard drive because when you delete or format any drive the computer does not completely remove all data.You can recover that data using third party software like "Recover Lost Data 4.03".
    Recover lost data which is deleted. Search deleted FAT and NTFS partitions from your Windows hard drive and recover file and folders from them.Windows hard drive get corrupt or become inaccessible due to variety of reasons like hard drive crashes, virus attacks, software errors, partition format, partition corruptions etc.

As per your problem you can check whether your hard drive is working or not.Take Windows XP CD,put it into CD-ROM and reboot computer and the Windows repair console is displayed. The process recovers hard drive data for the following errors displayed when trying to boot a computer:
    * Missing NTLDR
    * Fatal error reading boot.ini
    * Missing or corrupted boot file
    If any of these errors are displayed during computer startup, the hard drive has not crashed. Instead, the boot files are corrupted and need replacement using Microsoft’s repair process located on the installation CD-ROM. Once replaced, hard drive data is restored and no information is lost.
    In this situation you need to repair operating system.