Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USB port problems

USB port problems

I am having USB port problems. Sometimes it works and occassionally it doesn't work. It has become worse since a few days. My mouse suddenly stops working. Is it a hardware or a software fault. I am using intel dual core 2.5 ghz on an intel DG31PR motherboard running windows xp SP2.

Re: USB port probs

Refer to this Microsoft help Guide: USB port may stop working

and also refer to following similar threads:

1) USB ports stop working
    2) USB port does not work anymore after installing XP Pro
    3) usb port does not work

Hope this will help. good luck

Have you checked the USB connections on the computer itself ? Is it just the mouse that freezes, or does the system freeze? There may be another issue with your system. If it is only the mouse, but everything else works fine, I would suspect a power issue with your ports, or chipset drivers need replacing (for USB)See here for help Usb port problem
    http://forums.techarena.in/vista-har...es/1147267.htm

Have you tested your mouse to all USB ports? it can be happen that its your mouse faulty, you should test it with another PC. There can be many reasons for this. Do a Full scan with your Antivirus first.

Good luck.
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (3.6GHz, 1.44v) with TR Ultra 120E,
    Gigabyte GA-EX38-DQ6 v1.1, 4GB G.Skill PI 1066 5-5-5-15 2.1v ,
    Powercolor ATI HD4870X2 2GB, 4x SATA2 500GB Samsung HDD RAID 10,
    Creative X-Fi, Dell 2408WFP A01 24" LCD,
    Acer P221w 22" LCD,
    Corsair HX-1000 Watt PSU,
    Vista 64-bit.

No, the mouse is not faulty. I had installed two USB port mouse on the front USB ports. And once both stopped working. My system is just 10 days old. These problems have started to occur lately. First few days I had no issues with the ports.

Hey!
    I guess something or some program is stopping USB ports from functioning properly... Well first check your computer for virus, try to update USB Controller drivers. Check if this is only occuring for the mouse or all the device stops functioning...!? Try to Repair Install Windows XP... All the best...!

Since the entire system works perfectly except the USB related issues, I think the USB drivers are not installed properly. I would suggest you to reinstall these USB drivers and check whether the problem repeats or not.
    Hopefulle, it should be solved.......
    Since you have attached mouse in a USB port, I think not working of mouse is also due to this reason.

But how to reinstall the USB drivers. I am using intel DG31 PR motherboard.
    It is really annoying when all of a sudden, the mouse and the keyboard don't work. After removing and reinserting the mouse and keyboard, both work

i am using 2 usb cable extenders from the back usb ports. they are 5 years old and may be 1.1 . can that be a cause

Hey!
    Yeah! Extenders can be the problem specially when they are so old. Try your device without any extenders, does it work then? If yes you got the answer, if no post back! All the best!

I removed the extenders, and even reinstalled the USB drivers(controller, hub), etc. But still the problem persists. It happens more when I insert a second USB device, then both the ports stop working. Then I have to remove and reinsert the USB device.
    It is really annoying when all of a sudden in the middle of a game, both the usb mouse and keyboard stop working
    Somebody please help me out.

Hey!
    Then this is a hardware issue... your ports are having some conflicts... All you can do is install a PCI to usb card or change the motherboard...

if it is a hardware issue, why does it work for sometime and then suddenly stop.
    and then again start working on reinsertion

Re: USB port problems

recently i discovered one more thing . when i plug in the speakers in the AC outlet on the UPS, both the USB mouse and USB keyboard hang.
    does this problem have to do anything with the power circuit of the CPU

Hey!
    Yes, that can be a problem. But in my opinion there are very less chances of power supply causing problems to USB 'only'. You can check if you have an extra power supply. Do post back! All the best!

i read this article in one of the blogs. is it applicable in my case
    "You can access Device Manager by right clicking on your My Computer icon on the desktop and selecting Properties from the menu, then click on the Hardware tab > Device Manager. Or press the Windows key + Pause/Break key together, on your Keyboard to open it.

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and spent 4 days trying to solve it, nothing worked for me until I found this simple fix....

Close down the PC completely and unplug the Mains lead from the wall socket, unplug any USB devices connected to the PC.

When you have done that, press in the Power button on the front of the PC and hold it in for a minimum of 1 minute.

After you have done that, leave the PC alone for about 45 minutes.

When the 45 minutes is up, reconnect the mains lead, connect the USB devices and turn the PC on.

You may laugh, but it fixed my problem and I was surprised after 4 days of trashing my Registry, trying different Drivers, different Fixs, of which none worked."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast