Thread: Use Character Map in Vista

Use Character Map in Vista

Hi all, i am a Windows Vista user. As you all might be knowing Character Map is a feature in Vista that makes it possible to use characters that are not displayed on the keyboard like trademark symbol, a special mathematical character, or a character from another language. I need to use it many time but i don;t know how to that. Could any one of you can help me in this case?

Re: Use Character Map in Vista

The character map has many symbols and characters, both common and uncommon, that you can insert into your documents. When you open the Character Map, you will see all the symbols and characters for a specific font.To insert a symbol from the Character Map into a Word document, follow this steps:-

1. Open the Start Menu.

2. Now to go to the Character map..Click on All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click on Character Map or In white line (Start Search) area, type charmap and press Enter.

3. Use the drop down arrow beside the Font field to select the font you are using in your Word document.

4. Double click the symbol within the Character Map that you want to insert into your document. The symbol appears in the Characters to Copy box.

5. Return to your document.

6. Within the document, right-click where you want to insert the symbol and click the Paste option.

The symbol is automatically inserted into your Word document.

These characters include some regular used symbols and signs such as © (copyright), ® (registered), ± (plus-minus), ™ (trademark), Ω (ohm), √ (square root), ∞ (infinity), ‼ (double exclamation mark), → (various arrows), ¿ (inverted question mark), ° (degree), µ (micro), ≈ (almost equal to), ≠ (not equal to), ☺ (smilies face), and etc..

In the Character Map application window, find and locate the symbol or letter that you want to insert to your text, double click on it (or press Select after clicking on the symbol), and character will automatically copied to clipboard, which users can paste (or CTRL-V) to the document.

I've used Char. Map for ages but last week I tried to use it for the first time in Vista, using the ALT + 0123 method, and had totally baffling results. So I'm not going crazy...it's Vista that can't do this other method for posting characters...heheh..what else is new.

Just enter Character Map in the searh box when you open Startup. When it comes up right click and either send it to your Desktop or Pin It to the Start Menu. That way it is readily available.