Thread: New Hard Drive = simple volume

New Hard Drive = simple volume

I have recently bought a new IDE hard drive and installed it on my desktop to format it. I also want to take the hard drive out and put it in my USB enclosure for a huge backup. Windows is able to see the new hardware and walk me through setting the hard drive up and it did indeed. So, this hard drive is IDE and therefore it came up as Drive 0 and not drive 2 or 3. So I tried to convert and initialize it and when I clicked on ok then it gave me only one option for volume. I clicked on that and it let me determine the size and I used the full size and then used the label and formatted it in NTFS and it started working fine. The question is the Sata drives are split into 2 partition, logical and Primary and is just a primary partition. So, this new ide drive came out as a simple volume. Can anyone tell me what is a simple volume and what is it going to do when put in the USB enclosure? Thanks for any information.

Re: New Hard Drive = simple volume

You can use the drive in the Disk Management being in the USB enclosure in anyway you want. You just need to make sure that the jumper is set right on the hard drive as per the manufacturer's specifications. After that put the drive in the enclosure and then start disk management and then find the drive and delete its partition and recreate the partition again and then format.

Re: New Hard Drive = simple volume

When a new simple volume is created then a new parition with a different file system is also made. And I guess that when you initialize it with a MBR, wiped the contents or if it was broken before. So, what you can do is use some recovery Linux to try to recover the delete data from the hard drive. You can try different software such as SystemRescueCD or Trinity Rescue Kit for same.