Thread: How 2 connect old computer db9 port to new laptop with db15 or usb

How 2 connect old computer db9 port to new laptop with db15 or usb

I have a Windows 98 desktop pc. I bought a new Windows XP laptop. Now I want to connect that old 98 computer to the new desktop. I am trying to do that through null serial modem cable. Later on I use File Transfer Wizard and get my old backup form 98 to XP. I had purchased some set of adapters but I am not able to configure properly. I had asked help from some of my friends but nothing worked. The laptop has a DB15 male port and then adapter that I bought has DB9 femate port. It does not look possible to connect both.

Why don't you try a a usb instead of that. A usb port or a removable storage can offer you option to transfer data more easily through that. The best thing is to copy all the data to the removable drive and then move them. The second option which is present here is to use the ethernet connection. If your system has a lan card then you can simply transfer files through ethernet and get all of them one laptop.

Yes doing that through a usb would be better option. I am not sure that there will be a way to connect the DB15 with DB9. They must be identical. You must use some other way. Ethernet is the must faster way of transferring files from a pc to another pc. Or you can simply burn a disc if the data amount is not much high in size.

Re: How 2 connect old computer db9 port to new laptop with db15 or usb

all good information.
    of course im posting this like 2 years after the post but maybe someone who is looking for an answer like myself about something similar would find this new post helpful.

ya win98 isn't as cool as the newer versions in that you do need to manually install drivers for usb drives. and it does often suck trying to find the drivers since the companies assume your using win xp or higher by now. but if you get the drivers then the usb stick will work and be a very dummy-proof way to transfer files.

if not then null serial transfer wizard is great if your new comp has the serial port, parallel ports are the old printer connections and are the long ones with like 12 and 13 pins. serial ports are standard with the 4 and 5 pins sticking out. if its any other weird combination its going to be a bitz to find the special cables with the right ends.

finding and buying a hard drive casing thing is great for laptop to desktop kinda stuff and only slightly more annoying for laptop to laptop. it is a strange metal frame thing meant to mount your old laptop HDD into a desktop and have the common connection cable plugged into the laptop HDD and convert it to IDE kinda thing that your comp will read as a normal added HDD.

an easy way ive found to transfer stuff about on my many old laptops is iomega zip 100\250 drives. i find them at thrift stores all the time for 2-10 dollars and there is 2 main models. the newer one that is usb and great for the newer comp since it is plug and play usb awesomeness. and the older parallel port model that is more annoying but still works fine. The best thing about the older one is that with a tiny set of driver files that you can't get off the main iomega site anymore but is all over the inet is the dos drivers(and they can fit on a old as heck floppy[1.44] too).
    i just plug in the external drive and run the driver('guest.exe') file from dos or dos prompt and it adds itself as a new drive to access.
    the disk can be harder to find then the drives themselves but again at thrift stores they go for a buck or less and i have bought another 2 dollar old style drive just because it had a disk in it already before.(i bet they can be found online though)
    being limited to 100 or 250 mbs at a time can really suck for bigger things but on some old-old machines it beats the heck out of 1 mb at a time old floppies.
    They look like big blue external floppy drives. and need or should come with a male to female parallel port cable, as well as a ac adapter that has a 5volt dc output at 1.0a(amp) the newer ones are slightly smaller, solid black, and need only a single usb power cable that is usb standard at one end and 'power standard' at the other. i dont know the real name of it. it's the one that looks mostly square but is tapered at the courners on one face of the square.

a supplemental thing that i use with this method while playing on some of my 286 to pentium 166 laptops is winrar or dos-rar to split the files with or without compression for transport. there are other progs but i've used winrar for so long that i dont fully rember how to use old arj/jar/ace and pkzip kinda crap anymore. (winrar rocks! it can make files that are +/- 1gb into +/- 300mb[it very severely depends on the types of files though])

if you really get in dire need but have large things to move there are old style external hard drives and cd\dvd burners that can help too.

Re: How 2 connect old computer db9 port to new laptop with db15 or usb

Easy solution. Buy a [SF Cable, DB9 Female to HD15 Male VGA Adapter] u can find them on ebay for about 5 to 7 dollars.