Thread: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 doesn't work

Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 doesn't work

I and bought a new Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 keyboard. I am using a Dell Dimension 2400 PC. The keyboard offers a plug and play interface. When I connect the usb it is detected but it is not install. There is no light on the keyboard nor it responds at all. At last I am getting a message on the screen that the keyboard is not installed. I checked in Device manager and there is a unknown device located. It looks the keyboard is not compatible with my system. Any suggestions.

Go in bios and enable usb legacy support. It is disabled due to which you are not able to get the keyboard working on the system. Also you can update the chipset drivers and check back. The keyboard must have came with some kind of CD that has its installer and pc software. Use that. There can be chances that your usb port is not proper and causing problem.

Try to change port. Go in Device Manager and remove then remove those uninstalled hardware. Then check in bios that the usb is enabled. If still it does not work then you can use a usb to psu converter and hook the keyboard on a psu device. It worked for me when a old metallic keyboard was not able to work.

This is a driver failure issue. And if after going with number of troubleshooting option the keyboard started to working. I have to perform a Windows Update. I do not know how it found the relative installation files. The computer must detect and due to lack of proper drivers it fails to work. ur wrists and can help prevent injuries.

Re: Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 doesn't work

When my computer (XP o/s) did not recognize my new 4000, I did this. Right click on My Computer icon on desktop. Properties/hardware/device manager/left click on universal serial bus controllers. Update the drivers for each controller or device in the list. Then: On bottom left of desktop: Start/Run/Services.msc. I found some services that were not turned on. When I selectively enabled them and rebooted, my k/b worked fine. I HATE HATE HATE Vista (on my Toshiba laptop) so was very pleased to be able to use the 4000 on this old (IDE) desktop PC. Good luck.