Thread: LifeCam VX-3000 Poor Audio?

LifeCam VX-3000 Poor Audio?

I’m using Windows XP SP2 computer and recently bought a new Microsoft LifeCam VX-3000 for Skype. I installed its softwares, installed all required updates, there was no problem. Connected the cam with system and was able to get the picture and images but the problem is there is no Sound at all even the microphone volume is at high. I though updating / re-installing sound drivers will fix the problem but no help yet.

Any help would be appreciated? Thank you.

Re: LifeCam VX-3000 Poor Audio?

Are you getting sound from any other audio or movie which you play on WMP? If yes, then there is no problem with the system or sound drivers. It is not compulsory that brand new Camera wouldn’t be faulty. I have seen many such cases camera turned out to be faulty and got replaced with good one. Also if you see this camera not worked fine for even once. So am sure the problem is with camera itself. Contact the vendor from where you bought it.

OMG, I know this thread is pretty old but I wanted to post a fix for this seemingly endless issue that Microsoft has with these LifeCams. I have a lifecam 6000. I was searching the web for a fix for the awful loud humming that was plaguing the audio. The fix will require you to dismantle the camera, don't be afraid. However, I caution that you are dealing with wires and such and will not take responsibility, please be careful. Additionally I will add that I never expected this fix to work and had all intentions of tossing the piece of garbage in the trash, so if I did irreparable damage, I had nothing to lose. Well, first unplug the camera from the usb port > grab a small screw driver and a set of nail clippers > look at the back of the camera and notice where the little mic holes are > remove the one screw on the back of the camera > carefully pry open the casing on either side of the push button (the metal file of a set of nail clippers was my tool of choice, push button meaning the button on the top of the camera) > remember where the mic is (on mine it is to the right) > carefully pull out the little round mic (it won't come out to far) > with your finger nail try to pull/pry the metal casing from the top of the mic and it will come loose > take the handy dandy nail clippers and clip the black ground wire that's attached to the metal casing > carefully snap the cover back onto the body > replace the screw > plug in the usb > PRESTO no more loud humming!! =)

Absolutely unBELIEVEABLE!! And it works! Thanks so much, me, my screw driver & nail scissors are as happy as larry now.

I didn't really want to tear my camera apart before I knew this was legitimate fix so I first did what any old-school TV user would do and I smacked the camera and the buzz just got worse. This implied to me that the suggestion might be correct - something in the camera itself was causing the trouble. I tried the solution of clipping the ground wire (very easy), plugged the camera back into the USB port and the buzzing was gone! Great post! Thanks for saving me $ for a new camera.