Thread: New SATA Hard drive not recognized in Disk Manager in XP

New SATA Hard drive not recognized in Disk Manager in XP

I have bought a new computer that has 2 Western Digital Raptors in a Raid array that came with the factory installation. After that, I connected another Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 Sata II to the motherboard using the spare cables that came with the board. When I started my computer the first time, Windows XP with Service Pack 2 was able to detect the new hardware and in the quick launch area I was getting the prompt that "New hardware detected". That was the last time I got that drive to be recozniged in the computer. When I go to disk management to initialize it and format it then under disk drives I can only see the Raid stripe and 2 two "generic storage device" from the media reader/floppy combination. Is there anyone who can help me out. Thanks

Re: New SATA Hard drive not recognized in Disk Manager in XP

If it is not showing in Disk Manager then you will need to install a driver for it. This is because Windows does not have built in Sata drivers and you will need to install a driver for the port that you connected the new drive to. I think that it might not be a standard port but a port on a secondary controller and you need a driver for that controller. If you go into device manager then you will see the yellow exclamation mark next to the device which means that you need the driver for it. So, go to the motherboard manufacturer's website and download the Sata drivers and install it. Also, go into the BIOS and check if there is some interface for same that you need to enable.

Have you tried running the install or diagnostic or repair software that might have come along with the Seagate sata drive? Also, if you have that software then you can try to use it to partition and format the drive by following the below method:
    1. First of all, go to start and then type diskmgmt.msc in your run command
    2. After that you will be able to see the drive in the graphical display on the right of the screen
    3. Now you have to right-click the drive and a drop down menu should give you a choice to partition:
    4. After that you will have to partition it as one big partition the full size of the drive
    5. Lastly you need to go back and right-click again and select format again and then the drive will show up.