Thread: Access denied on USB memory stick

Access denied on USB memory stick

I am facing a strange issue on my system. When I plug my usb device to the computer it does not allow me to move files. I cannot even cut paste some of the word documents from it. I am getting access denied error everytime when I try to connect or get something from it. I had tried to check the usb drive on other computer and it works fine on it. The problem lies only on my computer.

Re: Access denied on USB memory stick

If you are not having any important data in the usb drive then better format it. It is the best way to fix the problem. The drive might lack a proper permission due to which it is not allowing you to move files. But if there is some data then you have to keep a backup. You said that it is working on other computer. Keep a backup of the same on other computer and then check back.

I was getting the same error on my new usb drive. I had used it on some computers but somehow it failed to work properly and cause the failure. I formatted the drive in dos mode and things went fine. The drive is now working. I can copy files. There is no exact cause behind the drive issue but it can be fixed by formatting it completely.

Access denied on USB memory stick resolved

My customer was having the same kind of issue. He is not able to use his memory stick. I had checked in msconfig. There is no 3rd party service available that can block the usage of usb drive. Later on I checked the drive in admin account and it started working properly.

Another fix

I go this issue due to virus. I found it after a long time that virus has caused the failure. I am using a laptop at my home. My friend has used a usb which was infected with worm. And as it has spread in the system I was not able to delete any files. It just give me plain access denied error. The last solution was to format the system completely and everything is working fine. Scan your system for virus and then check again.

I use my usb as a default location to store the backup files. I am using Windows backup tool. It was working well, but after few days I got a access denied error when I was trying to delete some old backup files. I cannot understand how the permissions where changed. My account on Windows has low privileges. But in usb I had created the file so in Windows it is possible to delete that also. Later on I formatted it and it started working properly.

I can only access usb through explorer

This is a plain virus issue. There is nothing you can do. The virus control the system and modifies the file permission. Usb drives are the most common to get infected. You can scan your system properly for infection and see whether it is fixed or not. Antivirus like QuickHeal are better in fixing this kind of issues.

Access denied on USB memory stick

I am facing a bit strange problem in my system. First I copied some videos in the drive. When I plug the drive it plays all videos automatically in Windows Media Player. I had given the drive to my friend who used it for backup. When he returned me the first error that I faced was access denied. I tried to add/remove the drive a number of time but still the problem lies the same. At last the system simply fails to detect it. There is no removable drive in My Computer. Nothing was detected. Any idea how this can be fixed.

It looks your usb is failing slowly. It might stop working completely. This can be a hardware failure. Many hard drives comes with a light indicator on them. It shows them that the device is connected. Check the same on your usb when you connect. If there is no light the the drive is damaged completely.

The symptom as stated above is a yellow folder instead of a drive symbol. The aim is to delete the autorun.inf file but in my case the suggestions above to change the attributes within a dos windows seemed to be blocked too.

So:
    Right click on the folder
    Go into explore
    In the menu bar - Tools - Folder options
    Click on the view tab
    Check the "show hidden files and folders"
    Uncheck the "Hide extensions for known file types" (? not necessary)
    Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files"

Then delete the autorun.inf file.

Re: Another fix

Many thanks to Amunar. That's a cool advice. After so many trials and frustrations, I used his instructions and now I can access to my USB files. Thanks again to you Amuna!

Many thanks. A friend put his stick in my computer and I have had problems ever since. This fixed 2 problems I was having.