Thread: Device Manager > Non-Plug and Play Drivers > Parallel port driver AND Serial

Device Manager > Non-Plug and Play Drivers > Parallel port driver AND Serial

I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3 on my Asus computer and the onboard ports serial and parallel is disabled in BIOS. If I click on "Show hidden devices" in device manager then it will show the group as stated in the mail subject for 2 devices Parallel port driver

Event viewer shows in periodic occurrences following error
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7000
    Date: 07.01.2010
    Time: 20:25:13
    User: N/A
    Computer: ABAFF-FHNDF
    Description: The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error: The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

I cannot find in the Windows Services Manager an item called port driver service. I have also tried to manually remove all these devices from device manager but that didnt help me either. Is there any fix for this problem? Thanks

Re: Device Manager > Non-Plug and Play Drivers > Parallel port driver AND Serial

I think that kernel drivers are some kind of special kind of services and they do not show up in the services manager. Incase you dont want to see these drivers then just do not enable the "show hidden devices".

re: Device Manager > Non-Plug and Play Drivers > Parallel port driver AND Serial

Thanks for the reply. I just dont want these devices to be present in the device manager, it kind of irritating seeing them there. I am also kind of pissed of seeing error in then event viewer that is generated by these two devices, if these are not used anyways, then why they have kept it in the first place?