Thread: Can't empty recycle bin

Can't empty recycle bin

It is Windows XP desktop started giving problem while deleting recycle bin. There are some deleted files in the recycle bin and its icons show the same as well but when I try deleting the same it says “Can't delete Dc30. Access refused.” Well, when I right click and select Empty recycle bin, it asks for the conformation as well. When I click yes, the same problem.

Another problem here is there is no such file in the recycle named “Dc30.” But still it is saying cannot delete “Dc30.” I don’t know what kind of file it is. Any help here will be appreciated.

Re: Can't empty recycle bin

As per my info Dc30 is not a name of any file but the log of the 3th file deleted from C drive. However it should not give any error like the one you mentioned above. Seems like your Recycle Bin is gone corrupted. You should try creating new Recycle Bin. You can do this by simply running a command in Command Prompt. Go to Start, click RUN, type CMD and type following:

rd /s /q c:\recycler

I appreciate your suggestion shivinder. As per your instructions I tried doing the same but as soon as I put the command, it gives me the following message

c:\ recycler\ S-1-5-~1\Dc30.mkr _ Access refused.

What else can I do ?

“Access refused” sounds like you are not having access for the task you doing. Are you sure you are running the codes in your own account ? It will be better if you do all these jobs as an Administrator. Log in with admin account and type the following in Start RUN:

cacls c:\recycler /t /e /g Administrators:f

Let me know if you get any more problem.

I have seen many people facing this error while try deleting recycle bin. I have a solution for the same and hope will solve many other’s problems. Here it is. First of all boot up in safe mode, open windows explorer and change the settings to show hidden files and folders. Now try deleting Recycle and if you are unable to delete, simply rename it.

Now restart the system and log back in normal mode. You will see the renamed recycle bin here. Now again boot back to safe mode and delete the same. This time you wont be getting any error. .

Hi everyone,

Had the same problem as you Norman, in my case the file was called Dc60. Tried everything John John said but wasn't working in safe mode for me as well, even with the cacls syntax.

But then I tried it in regular windows mode and completely suprised it worked and deleted the Dc60 file, and the recycle bin icon changed to empty!

So just start windows in normal mode, open the command prompt:
    Type cacls c:\recycler /t /e /g Administrators:f
    Type rd /s /q/ c:\recycler

Then nothing really happens in the command prompt, you don't get any confirmation message, only thing is that the acces denied message is gone.

Then take a look at your recycle bin and you will see in a couple of seconds that the file is gone and the icon is changed!

Thanks John John for the syntax, was a really persistent file!

I tried all of these methods with no success, but the it occurred to me to try a little freeware program called "unlocker" which can be used to kill or release processes that may be attached to undeletable or unmovable files, folders, and allows releasing external drives that Windows refuses to release for disconnection.

Normally I use it when Windows reports things like:

Cannot delete file: Access is denied
    There has been a sharing violation.
    The source or destination file may be in use.
    The file is in use by another program or user.
    Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and that the file is not currently in use.

and I know for a fact that the file/folder/device is NOT being accessed, and I want it GONE or MOVED.

Use this utility with caution, however, because many times a process will be attached to a file or folder for a valid reason; if you delete it's file or folder while it's not finished, you may corrupt your system.

Having said that, the "unlocker" did it's job, deleted the "Recycler" folder in C:\, and, in addition, reported that "your recycle bin is corrupt, would you like to rebuild it?" I responded "Yes", and the problem went away.

BTW, "unlocker" works on XP but did NOT work on my Win7 x64 machine.

Go to the folder properties which is located in the control panel and there on the view seeks to show hidden files and folders" and enable it. Then enable the file system view (just below) and go to C: (root) folder must be recycled.I just did what you had and said, and the folder that is inside C: \ RECYCLER-one with a lot of numbers, can not be deleted because it is in use continuously. You tried to clean the registry.

I resolved my problem using the Unlocker.. But in a diffrent way:

In the recycle bin there was two folders (hidden) called DC17 and DC20 (in my case).
    HERE IS WHAT I DID:

1. First open UnlockerAssistent.
    2. Then try to empty the bin (that wont delete) and after that comes Unlocker and ask what you want to do..
    3. Choose MOVE the locked folders to your desk..
    (Now is the hidden folder on your desk but they are not hidden anymore!)
    4. Take something else (an document or whatever) and put it in the bin and empty it like normal.
    (Now should the bin look normal again) :)
    5. Now rename those Dc folder/s on your desk and turn off write protection on them.
    6. Then throw them in the bin and delete them as normal.

Problem solved (in my case, hope it work in yours).
    Regards
    Bindegal from nettipsforum.dk

I too suggest you to make use of the unlocker software. it is a free version of software which you can easily download from the official site. There is no doubt about this software. I have been using this from the past 3 years. This tool will run in the Windows background. You see the icon on the taskbar when it is running. It will unlock any file or folder which is running then offers you some options like delete, kill, kill all or delete all according to the situation. You can choose the option as you need.

I tried all the steps described in this forum. I kept getting 'access denied' in both normal mode and safe mode. I finally gave up and booted from a Linux CD. Then deleted both 'recycled' and 'recycler' on all drives where they were found...problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Bindegal View Post
    I resolved my problem using the Unlocker.. But in a diffrent way:

In the recycle bin there was two folders (hidden) called DC17 and DC20 (in my case).
    HERE IS WHAT I DID:

1. First open UnlockerAssistent.
    2. Then try to empty the bin (that wont delete) and after that comes Unlocker and ask what you want to do..
    3. Choose MOVE the locked folders to your desk..
    (Now is the hidden folder on your desk but they are not hidden anymore!)
    4. Take something else (an document or whatever) and put it in the bin and empty it like normal.
    (Now should the bin look normal again) :)
    5. Now rename those Dc folder/s on your desk and turn off write protection on them.
    6. Then throw them in the bin and delete them as normal.

Problem solved (in my case, hope it work in yours).
    Regards
    Bindegal from nettipsforum.dk
    Had the same problem,this solution worked perfectly for me.Many thanx.Dan