Thread: Unable to logon using Administrator password

Unable to logon using Administrator password

I am facing some logon problem which just cropped up in Windows XP. I have always logged on automatically with the admin user and did not setup a password. After that the logon screen started to display but when I selected the admin then it starts to load windows but then comes back to the user selection screen with the message "saving you settings". There are no users that I can select to launch Windows. When I use ctrl+alt+del, then I am given with a popup requiring the password. If I am trying to enter any value other then blank then I get a password incorrect error message. If I leave blank and press enter then the same thing happens, windows starts to load and then comes back to the logon screen with the same message that the settings for the admin are bein saved. Now can anyone tell me how to solve this issue? Thanks

Re: Unable to logon using Administrator password

Check the article on "How to start the System Restore tool by using the safe mode option with the Command prompt in Windows XP" from the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/304449/en-US

I have nearly the same problem on my Toshiba Satellite that Berne described with the exception that when I choose to boot in Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Command Prompt) or any other mode for that matter all I get is the 2 icons representing the Administrator and the User. If I select either same thing "saving you settings" "logging off" happens.

Bottom line is that I can not even get to a command prompt as
    the system boots only with above GUI screen. This happened after I downloaded updates for (original & registered) my Windows XP Home edition.

I wouldn't normally worry too much and do a complete re-install however in this case I have some important files I need to retrieve before doing so. Unfortunately I don't have a Rescue disc neither the Password Recovery disc.

I've tried Toshiba Help Line but they say the files can only be retrieved by someone (read business) who has special software which will crack the password on SAM files.

Can you think of any other way I can get my files back? Any help will be appreciated.

the laptop is not a part of the network however I can get a limited access to the whole drive by hooking it up through USB enclosure. Trouble with that is that I still can not get to the registry files as that area is 'locked' and all files under the Admin & User which are normally a part of Windows environment are out of bounds. I've tried Chris Grenier's data recovery disk but unfortunately it doesn't fully load (thus allowing Registry access) because it complains about 'wrong flags' being set on the hard drive?
    Mark - With the MS solution they say to use a Recovery Consol - as the laptop has only an XP Home installed I don't believe that the RC is available. I suppose this can not be installed at this point in time?

You're right, the only disc that came with the Toshiba is an image file which, if installed, overwrites everything. I might have to try and buy an XP disc - could another 'flavour' XP such as XP Pro be used for that purpose?

I don't think I can use this option as MS say "To install the Recovery Console, you must be logged on as an administrator" Unfortunately, as it
    stands I can not log in as such :-(

I know it's a pain ... but I've tried that boot CD - very good program. Unf. similar to Grenier's boot disc (as I already mentioned) this one only boots in read mode because it complains of some? "wrong flag set on /dev/sda1 - read access only" Despite this I can see that the Admin password (in read only mode) appears blank so is that sth. that would still need a reset?

I agree, I still think there is a way to 'fix it' without having to do a complete re-install.

Re: Unable to logon using Administrator password

The issue that you are facing doesn seems to be a password related but it is most likely to be related with userinit.exe file or its similar entry in the registry. Can you tell us whether your computer is part of a network? If it is, then you can easily fix the userinit problem, if not , then it will be a tough problem.

You can try to use Recovery Console to copy Userinit.exe to Wsaupdater.exe

1. At the Recovery Console command prompt, type cd system32, and then press ENTER.
    2. Type copy userinit.exe wsaupdater.exe, and then press ENTER.
    3. Type exit, and then press ENTER.

More information over here - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892893

You can also try to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP, just follow the below steps:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...&Product=winxp