Thread: Power Surge On Hub Port - Please Help

Power Surge On Hub Port - Please Help

I need some help with my Acer TravelMate 800 laptop. It has 4 usb ports configured on the same. I am getting a error when I am trying to connect a external hard drive on the same. I have a 320GB External hard drive connected to the same. When I try to connect I am getting a error saying Power Surge on Hub Port. The USB Mass Storage device has exceeded the power limits of its hub port. The device does not open up. I cannot copy or moves file from it. Can anyone help me here to deal with the issue I am facing.

Re: Power Surge On Hub Port - Please Help

You are getting that error because your usb port is not able to deliver enough power. The error appear when your existing ports is not able to give enough power to the hard drive to turn on. I got the same issue on a old laptop. Hard drive that comes with external power supply simply works really well on any kind of system.

It is a common issue on old system usb. It is having a limited power and the drive that you had connected needs more than that. Due to which you get the error on your screen. You can try to connect to different port and then check back. There is another way of fixing the issue. There are some external usb hub that comes with power adapter. You can use them to transfer the files from your pc to external storage and I think that will be quiet enough for the usage.

i have compaq 755 tu laptop. when i start my laptop,power surge on hub port message on my screen.when i click this message & reset this often this message on my screen have come.A usb device has malfunctioned & exceeded power limit..The USB port will not work properly.plz help me .What can i do?

So you have a USB hub port attached to your pc? What if you start w/o the hub and then attached the hub afterwards, do you still get the message?? if so I Guess you will have examine which device attached to the sub that cause the overload