Thread: yet another "no audio device" thread, sorry

yet another "no audio device" thread, sorry

I installed Intel DG31PR board recently with Realtek high definition audio in my computer. After that I dont know why the sound is not working properly anymore. I have Windows XP SP2 installed on this pc. I asked Inter support about this and they told me to update the Bios and the chipset drivers and try again to install the audio drivers. I did this, but still wasnot able to install the audio drivers. I also tried to install the drivers from the driver CD that came with the mobo, from the intel website and from the realtek website. But none of them worked although it all seemed to fail in different ways. When I let Windows try to install the audio drivers itself, via the Found New Hardware Wizard then I started getting error message that says the device could not be installed because its coinstaller was invalid. Can anyone please help me out? Thanks

Re: yet another "no audio device" thread, sorry

Can you try to go into Device Manager and uninstall all of the audio and media related files and then shut down the computer. After that disconnect the the power and then open the case, remove the battery and clear the CMOS. Incase you can't find the CMOS CLEAR jumper (the link below IIRC has a tab for documentation) leave the battery out for a couple of hours. Put the battery back in, put it all back together, and restart. The system will redetect hardware. Now try to reinstall the drivers starting at the lowest level you can find, and adding higher layers.

Even I am facing similar issues with different software. I therefore uninstalled the drivers for the new hardware and reconnected the windows audio. After that I looked at the resource guide to see if there was really no a conflict with the I/O or IRQ something that had to be there. I am trying to look for a WMP plugin that solves this issue?

Thanks for the reply, but do you mean that by clearing the CMOS, will I lose access to other installed devices also? I have spent the whole day getting some information about this issue but cant really find it anywhere. Thanks

Check the article on "Certain programs may not start, and you receive an error message on a computer that is running Windows XP Service Pack 2: "Illegal System DLL Relocation" that might be related to your issue from the below link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/935448

By clearing the CMOS resets the BIOS to their default settings. You wont be losing any functionality with other devices unless you changed any settings in the BIOS in order to get a certain device working properly. If you haven't changed any settings then clearing the CMOS most likely will not help since the BIOS settings are most likely the default settings.