Thread: NTLDR is Missing

NTLDR is Missing

I am facing a error when I am trying to boot my windows xp pc. The error that I am getting on the screen is - NTLDR is Missing. I am getting this constantly on my screen. I tried to boot from Windows XP CD and ran recovery console here. Then through that I tried to copy the NTLDR file using the following command: Copy D:\i386\NTLDR C. I am getting a new error here. The error says that the file cannot be copied.

Re: NTLDR is Missing

I will recommend you here to run CHKDSK /R. Just run that and see whether the issue is resolved or not. Chkdsk will check your drive for bad sectors and will pop up the error logs on the screen. So it is essential that you must run the same and then test back. One more thing that can help you here to fix the problem is simply changing the windows disc you are having. If it is damaged or if there is some kind of problem with the file then the command might not run properly. Change the disc and then test back.

I am having a Windows XP Home Edition SP2. Whenever I start the system on boot I am getting a ntldr is missing error on the screen. Now I tried here to run the repair also but that does not worked. The only last option left was to format my pc completely and install everything back again. That was more than enough to fix the issue. After a clean installation the issue was resolved. There is no problem here. Ntldr is an important file which is needed to boot windows and if that is damaged you will face such problems.

If you want to backup the files then you can try one thing here. You can simply boot your pc from live cd. There are ample of linux live cd available on the web. Just boot your system with the same and then backup your data. Later on your simply format your back again to restore as it was before. This is one of the easiest way to fix the problem you are facing. The issue to fix the problem only works when you simply format your pc back again.

ntldr is missing

hi
    i am new to this forum. i have encounter this problem in my desktop.
    i tried to insert a win xp cd and tried
    copy d:/i386/ntldr c:/
    copy d:/i386/ntdetect.com c:/
    the follow files could not be copied..

i have also done chkdsk /r
    and the response is the volum appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems

what should i do??

can anyone help me please..
    thanks!!

SAme NTDLR Problem but......

Ello!

Need some assistance plse!
    This is whats going on......

I've got a SATA(windows) drive aswell as a IDE drive! MY cd-rom is master and then my IDE is slave (is this right?) but when my pc starts up it gives me the error : NTDLR is missing, press ctrl + alt & delete to restart.... So what i founded out is that my BIOS is looking for the MBR on the IDE drive and not on the SATA drive! I used recovery console and according to DOS my IDE is the c:\ drive and my SATA is the d:\. So if i unplug my IDE then windows boots up normal. Now ive tried to change the hard drive boot sequence so that he reads the SATA drive first but with no success, he keeps the IDE drive first on the list :( another thing i tried before i knew what was going on is in recovery console i tried the fixboot so it asked to write a new boot to the c:\ and i said yes. (this is before i knew that my IDE is the c:\ drive) Could this be the problem...... ???.

Now this all worked fine before but after i made a small partition on the IDE drive to install Vista (just to start learning the thing) this error started occuring. So i deleted the small partition via windows setup so all is like it was but still the missing NTDLR error.......

Any thaughts would be much appreciated...

Thanx

This is a problem with the BIOS Boot Order or startup configuration, you *must* place the SATA drive at the head or top of the hard disk boot order. If you absolutely cannot do this (as you seem to be implying) then you will have to create a System Partition on the IDE disk and use it to boot the installation on the SATA drive.

About a month ago, my laptop (with vista as OS) started acting up, giving me error messages such as “windows\system32\boot\winload.exe missing or corrupt” as well as “windows\system32\stsem missing”. I tried everything I could in vain, and I decided to go ahead and format my hard drive, through another computer using an enclosure kit since I couldn’t even get into safe mode or any other mode without getting the error screen right away. I seemed that the problem was getting worst as I restarted my computer.
    As I mentioned above, I formatted my disc, thus lost all data, hoping to be able to install a clean version of VISTA. I reinstall my hard drive in the laptop, and just to make a quick test, I started the computer without the VISTA DVD in and I got the error “NTLDR is missing Press CTRL+Alt+Del to restart”, and wondering what that was about, I looked it up on the internet, and most people seemed to say that error message was a typical windows XP type of error. But I never had XP on this computer. So I didn’t do anything about and put the VISTA DVD in the drive and restarted the computer. I got the message “press any key to boot from CD or DVD…” When I didn’t push any button, I got the error message “NTLDR is missing Press CTRL+Alt+Del to restart”, and then I restarted it and pushed a key to boot it from the VISTA DVD. I then got the “windows is loading files” screen. Once it was done loading files, it went straight to the error screen “Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause …windows\system32\boot\winload.exe missing or corrupt … status 0x0000001…”.
    At this point I really don’t know what to do, and I’m totally confused, since my hard drive is totally empty and I still get those error messages.

Please help

The issue occur because because had you simply formatted your system in a older version than Vista NT version. This would be Windows 2000 or Windows
    XP. So the next time when you format a drive, a new boot sector is written to the partition. This new boot sector has small bit of code and instructions
    which is executed whenever a partition is booted. So just use a new disc to format your pc back again and then check back. I am sure that will be quiet enough to fix the issue.