Thread: Windows media player 10 and 11 wont play AVI files with DIV3 codec . . .

Windows media player 10 and 11 wont play AVI files with DIV3 codec . . .

Earlier I was using Windows Media Player 10 on my XP laptop. I got some movies and video clips which are in .avi file format. I tried playing the same in windows media player but I was only able to hear Audio that also in few files, not all. Video is not playing in any of these files. After searching help on web I came to know that this can be because of missing codecs and they suggested me to install DivX Codec.

I did the same but still the problem persists. I later updated my WMP to version 11 but still the problem persists. I don’t know what else can I do fix the problem. Somebody please help.

Re: Windows media player 10 and 11 wont play AVI files with DIV3 codec . . .

Hello CreepeRer.

If DivX Codec is not working you should simply download K-lite codec and install. This is the best codec i have found so far for Windows Media Player. Once installed it will play Avi and FLV files as well.

Alternatively i can suggest you to quit WMP and download VLC player. This is capable to play almost all multimedia file formats. if you need to download any of these things, just do a Google search. Both are open source and free.